UV filtration.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

furniilou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking to buy an external filter for my fish tank, and I'm just wondering if I would be better of, with a filter with a uv light built into it, or of I really doesn't matter.

I have already read up a little about them, reading that if the water passes to quickly past the uv light, it doesn't get chance to do what it's meant to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

More of a fw thing.

:confused:
UV sterilizers certainly are marketed and promoted for salt water.
In my experience they can make a big difference with algae/bacteria blooms, but aren't as effective as touted when it comes to parasites. They help and it's not a bad option to have as part of the filtration set-up, but as you mention they require a slower flow rate to work efficiently and bulb replacements can be pricey, especially when the effective bulb life is about 6-8 months.

Just remember that UV light kills every life form that passes through it. It is being used sparingly. Rarely you will find experienced aquarists to ever use it. It is only necessary when you have an uncontrollable algae outbreak. It will not totally eradicate or sterilize your tank though since not all of the water in your tank will pass through it. I used it a while back in just a short period and once tank is stabilized and matured it's been forgotten.

:confused:
UV sterilizers certainly are marketed and promoted for salt water.
In my experience they can make a big difference with algae/bacteria blooms, but aren't as effective as touted when it comes to parasites. They help and it's not a bad option to have as part of the filtration set-up, but as you mention they require a slower flow rate to work efficiently and bulb replacements can be pricey, especially when the effective bulb life is about 6-8 months.

Yeah but if your using ro/di water and not over feeding/stocking your tank algae shouldn't be a problem. And IMO most bacteria in sw tanks are good for the tank so why kill them off?

Yeah but if your using ro/di water and not over feeding/stocking your tank algae shouldn't be a problem. And IMO most bacteria in sw tanks are good for the tank so why kill them off?

which is exactly why my 18 watt sterilizer is sitting in the closet, haven't been able to think of any reason to hook it up. ;)

BUT, 30+ years ago when I first purchased it they were a very useful and at times vital part of a filtration system mainly because the science wasn't at the point we are at today.
Although it did help save my tank from an oodinium outbreak once.

I was told to use it when adding new inhabitants for a day or 2 then unplug till next new tank mate is brought in. I got one on my aquatop but I found a clearance sale at a lfs so got the $120 unit for only $30

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was told to use it when adding new inhabitants for a day or 2 then unplug till next new tank mate is brought in. I got one on my aquatop but I found a clearance sale at a lfs so got the $120 unit for only $30

I can understand the intent, but two days is nothing when talking possible parasite infestation, which would be the only reason to use it for new critters.
Better to use a quarantine tank and use it on that during the quarantine period.

Yeah once my tank it started hopefully in a couple weeks waiting on store to get in more rock (he sold out this month and I hadn't ordered the rest of my equipment yet) I'll use my 10 gallon to quarantine new guys then add to the 30 and run the Uv just in case for a couple days

When I did fish only, I thought they helped reduce parasites. But in the end it was a maintenance pain and just paying attention to the inhabitants requirements eliminated the parasite worry. They are probably more efficient at killing everything but parasites.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When I did fish only, I thought they helped reduce parasites. But in the end it was a maintenance pain and just paying attention to the inhabitants requirements eliminated the parasite worry. They are probably more efficient at killing everything but parasites.

Yup, I've found they work best against algae and unwanted bacterial blooms, but parasites it's like trying to catch butterflies with a hula-hoop, you might get a couple with the ring, but most are never effected.

The thing about UV sterilizing is ensuring as much water passes through it as possible. The small ones marketed to put in your tank or sump are basically worthless as barely any water passes through it. For this to be effective at all, you need to have one plumbed directly into things or on a large return pump. This is how it occurs for drinking water. Tie that in with needing to replace the bulbs yearly, at max, UV sterilizers aren't worth the effort in my opinion.

I agree. Parasites especially need a fairly long exposure to kill it. That's why the flow rate works in conjunction with the bulbs wattage. The bulbs also age really fast. The ones used in public aquariums and water supply are pretty big usually with multiple high wattage UV bulbs.

The thing about UV sterilizing is ensuring as much water passes through it as possible. The small ones marketed to put in your tank or sump are basically worthless as barely any water passes through it. For this to be effective at all, you need to have one plumbed directly into things or on a large return pump. This is how it occurs for drinking water. Tie that in with needing to replace the bulbs yearly, at max, UV sterilizers aren't worth the effort in my opinion.

exactly. for small aquaria it's a catch 22;
you need ALL the water to be processed, but it has to be done at a flow rate much, much lower than proper filtration calls for.
So you essentially need two filter systems, one for filtering the water in general and another to filter the water prior to going through the UV.

Overall not worth it beyond using on a hospital tank.

and the first time you break the quartz sleeve and have to replace it, you'll probably just stick it in the closet. ;)

Well good input I'll use mine as it came with the pump after quarantine but shut it down after and once it goes toes up not replace it lol. But for the price I got mine for I couldbt complain

Is anyone aware of a way to determine if a UV bulb is worn out other than timing it?

Back
Top Bottom