Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

UV filtration.

I'm looking to buy an external filter for my fish tank, and I'm just wondering if I would be better of, with a filter with a uv light built into it, or of I really doesn't matter.

I have already read up a little about them, reading that if the water passes to quickly past the uv light, it doesn't get chance to do what it's meant to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 06-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You mean a UV Sterilizer?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

More of a fw thing.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
More of a fw thing.

UV sterilizers certainly are marketed and promoted for salt water.
In my experience they can make a big difference with algae/bacteria blooms, but aren't as effective as touted when it comes to parasites. They help and it's not a bad option to have as part of the filtration set-up, but as you mention they require a slower flow rate to work efficiently and bulb replacements can be pricey, especially when the effective bulb life is about 6-8 months.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just remember that UV light kills every life form that passes through it. It is being used sparingly. Rarely you will find experienced aquarists to ever use it. It is only necessary when you have an uncontrollable algae outbreak. It will not totally eradicate or sterilize your tank though since not all of the water in your tank will pass through it. I used it a while back in just a short period and once tank is stabilized and matured it's been forgotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post

UV sterilizers certainly are marketed and promoted for salt water.
In my experience they can make a big difference with algae/bacteria blooms, but aren't as effective as touted when it comes to parasites. They help and it's not a bad option to have as part of the filtration set-up, but as you mention they require a slower flow rate to work efficiently and bulb replacements can be pricey, especially when the effective bulb life is about 6-8 months.

Yeah but if your using ro/di water and not over feeding/stocking your tank algae shouldn't be a problem. And IMO most bacteria in sw tanks are good for the tank so why kill them off?
Old 06-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Yeah but if your using ro/di water and not over feeding/stocking your tank algae shouldn't be a problem. And IMO most bacteria in sw tanks are good for the tank so why kill them off?
which is exactly why my 18 watt sterilizer is sitting in the closet, haven't been able to think of any reason to hook it up.

BUT, 30+ years ago when I first purchased it they were a very useful and at times vital part of a filtration system mainly because the science wasn't at the point we are at today.
Although it did help save my tank from an oodinium outbreak once.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you for your help x

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 06-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #9

I was told to use it when adding new inhabitants for a day or 2 then unplug till next new tank mate is brought in. I got one on my aquatop but I found a clearance sale at a lfs so got the $120 unit for only $30

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 06-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravden View Post
I was told to use it when adding new inhabitants for a day or 2 then unplug till next new tank mate is brought in. I got one on my aquatop but I found a clearance sale at a lfs so got the $120 unit for only $30

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I can understand the intent, but two days is nothing when talking possible parasite infestation, which would be the only reason to use it for new critters.
Better to use a quarantine tank and use it on that during the quarantine period.

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com