Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2018, 04:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Uv light

Why donít more people donít run uv lights in there tanks beats me it most be lack of knowledge in the hobby most problem I see in here could be fix simply with a uv sterilizer it helps so much with healthy fish, beautiful clear water,make some fish breed Easier,kill algae and itís does so so much more I will never run a aquariums with out a uv light

Old 03-16-2018, 03:50 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Bulb cost maybe? They are quite expensive here so tend to be rare.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea cost is the biggest factor. For the price of a UV unit, I could have a raely good CO2 setup, so that covers algae AND increases my plant growth immensely, and for the cost of replacement bulbs I can just buy and replace Purigen, filter floss, carbon etc. and still have money left at the end of a year.

UV also does not touch anything growing on surface areas within the tank, where as a properly balanced tank with a CO2 system will in fact inhibit algae growing on surfaces within the tank.

That's my reason anyway.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Makes sense to me

I was keeping the power head from mine but have ditched it after shifting house. Mainly just less room and canít see myself going back to them now I know these lights I have better.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
Yea cost is the biggest factor. For the price of a UV unit, I could have a raely good CO2 setup, so that covers algae AND increases my plant growth immensely, and for the cost of replacement bulbs I can just buy and replace Purigen, filter floss, carbon etc. and still have money left at the end of a year.

UV also does not touch anything growing on surface areas within the tank, where as a properly balanced tank with a CO2 system will in fact inhibit algae growing on surfaces within the tank.

That's my reason anyway.

I run both co2 and UV light I replace mine twice a year it cuz like 20 bucks a bulb come on if you canít afford that in the aquarium hobby then you need to find a new hobby
Old 03-16-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolific View Post
I run both co2 and UV light I replace mine twice a year it cuz like 20 bucks a bulb come on if you canít afford that in the aquarium hobby then you need to find a new hobby

Iíll spend my $200 elsewhere, and my $40 in bulbs will go to my actual lights instead. To each their own, but my disease free crystal clear tank will not be seeing UV anytime soon

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:56 AM   #7
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I think the bulb (different size maybe) is like $80 here. Not many shops stock them.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
I think the bulb (different size maybe) is like $80 here. Not many shops stock them.

I buy all my stuff online is way chipper itís the future sorry mom and pop stores
Old 03-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of uv do you run pro?
Old 03-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

My canister have a built in uV light and I also run a t5 Uv bulb for the surface just to keep it crystal clear I like my fishies to look like they flying in air not swimming in water the fish love it I highly recommend Uv light to every one that have fish in there tank have u ever tried Uv light brooster123

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com