Uv light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prolific

Aquarium Advice Regular
Why don’t more people don’t run uv lights in there tanks beats me it most be lack of knowledge in the hobby most problem I see in here could be fix simply with a uv sterilizer it helps so much with healthy fish, beautiful clear water,make some fish breed Easier,kill algae and it’s does so so much more I will never run a aquariums with out a uv light

Yea cost is the biggest factor. For the price of a UV unit, I could have a raely good CO2 setup, so that covers algae AND increases my plant growth immensely, and for the cost of replacement bulbs I can just buy and replace Purigen, filter floss, carbon etc. and still have money left at the end of a year.

UV also does not touch anything growing on surface areas within the tank, where as a properly balanced tank with a CO2 system will in fact inhibit algae growing on surfaces within the tank.

That's my reason anyway.

Makes sense to me [emoji106]

I was keeping the power head from mine but have ditched it after shifting house. Mainly just less room and can’t see myself going back to them now I know these lights I have better.

Yea cost is the biggest factor. For the price of a UV unit, I could have a raely good CO2 setup, so that covers algae AND increases my plant growth immensely, and for the cost of replacement bulbs I can just buy and replace Purigen, filter floss, carbon etc. and still have money left at the end of a year.

UV also does not touch anything growing on surface areas within the tank, where as a properly balanced tank with a CO2 system will in fact inhibit algae growing on surfaces within the tank.

That's my reason anyway.

I run both co2 and UV light I replace mine twice a year it cuz like 20 bucks a bulb come on if you can’t afford that in the aquarium hobby then you need to find a new hobby

I run both co2 and UV light I replace mine twice a year it cuz like 20 bucks a bulb come on if you can’t afford that in the aquarium hobby then you need to find a new hobby

I’ll spend my $200 elsewhere, and my $40 in bulbs will go to my actual lights instead. To each their own, but my disease free crystal clear tank will not be seeing UV anytime soon

My canister have a built in uV light and I also run a t5 Uv bulb for the surface just to keep it crystal clear I like my fishies to look like they flying in air not swimming in water the fish love it I highly recommend Uv light to every one that have fish in there tank have u ever tried Uv light brooster123

Bit of a side question but just realised the UV bulb on the canister should be running (led light not working though so don’t know). Doesn’t really matter if working or not, but last canister filter I had the UV bulb connections rust out - wondering if anyone else has had this?

Bit of a side question but just realised the UV bulb on the canister should be running (led light not working though so don’t know). Doesn’t really matter if working or not, but last canister filter I had the UV bulb connections rust out - wondering if anyone else has had this?

One more reason why I don't run one ;) one more thing to fail over time.

Yeah, aqua-one filter so I know not top of the range but still a little surprised. Only thing I could think of is I mainly had it switched off and perhaps they are meant to be run to keep a current going through them. Still worked but bought a new one last year about 15 months ago. It’s perfect size (just) for in cabinet but since the shop had two canisters in stock in total, was a little limited on options (ended up winning about 10 years fish food in a raffle though!).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom