Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
UV light question for sunsun canister

Has anyone with a sunsun canister filter every used the UV light on it? I didn't bother when I was setting up the tank, but now that's it's cycled and running, I was thinking about turning it on. Is it something you can leave on 24/7 or something that needs to be turned off after so long?

My tank is a lovely neon green thanks to Fungus Cure, but I was wondering after I'm done medicating the tank if I should turn it on for follow up.

Ficklewinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
The lamps in the UV sterilizers don't have a terribly long life, leaving it on 24/7 would result in needing to replace it after 10-12 months. I have a 18W ( might be 13W, not sure now) on my 75G and I have a timer set to run it for 2 2-hour periods daily. My water remains crystal clear. If I have an outbreak of anything, it would be switched to 24 hour for a weeks or two until the problem clears up.

>> Jim C. <<
jrc0528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
The sunsun does not offer a timer application unless you tinker. I run a sunsun with the uv, it seemed to help with green water. I've heard it shortens the life to turn them on/off frequently. I've also heard they burn out faster if run continuously, which makes sense if compared to not running it constantly?? I dunno... it's in there.. may as well use it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is online now   Reply With Quote

canister, light, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com