UV light question for sunsun canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ficklewinds

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone with a sunsun canister filter every used the UV light on it? I didn't bother when I was setting up the tank, but now that's it's cycled and running, I was thinking about turning it on. Is it something you can leave on 24/7 or something that needs to be turned off after so long?

My tank is a lovely neon green thanks to Fungus Cure, but I was wondering after I'm done medicating the tank if I should turn it on for follow up.

The lamps in the UV sterilizers don't have a terribly long life, leaving it on 24/7 would result in needing to replace it after 10-12 months. I have a 18W ( might be 13W, not sure now) on my 75G and I have a timer set to run it for 2 2-hour periods daily. My water remains crystal clear. If I have an outbreak of anything, it would be switched to 24 hour for a weeks or two until the problem clears up.

The sunsun does not offer a timer application unless you tinker. I run a sunsun with the uv, it seemed to help with green water. I've heard it shortens the life to turn them on/off frequently. I've also heard they burn out faster if run continuously, which makes sense if compared to not running it constantly?? I dunno... it's in there.. may as well use it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom