Uv Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CANNONBALL

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I JUST GOT A USED UV STERILIZER ITS A 8 WATT AQUANETICS AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF PUMP TO PUT IN IT CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE!!!!! I DONT KNOW THE MODEL :confused:

Why are you wanting to run a UV on your system? Is there a particular reason?

I would expect you'd want the flow rate to be quite low through it, probably around 100gph or so.

Thanks

I HAVE A PROTEIN SKIMMER THAT IS ABOUT TI AND I JUST WHAN'T TO BE SAFE THAT IS WHY I'M GOING TO PUT A UV IN MY SYS THANK YOU GUYS :hat:

I just did a bit of quick checking and Sterilzers at 18w suggest 275-365gph flow. I say that Neilan is pretty close with the 100gph flow. A Maxi-Jet 400 would probably get the job done.

I second Neilan's question about having the need for a UV.

I think I`m one of the few that uses a UV. I think the pro`s outweigh the cons but thats a debate for another day. I also agree on the flow and pump that was given.

Im not sure of your tank size or its age or its water source but a UV used wrong could cause more damage then good.

A UV is great for controlling algea but it also effects your bacteria levels. So if you dont have an exsisting problem then i would only use a few hours once a week.

To be safe you want good water flow and minimum amount of LR and LS with regular water readings and stocking level and feeding habits for starts.

Uv`s are great for algea spores and parasites that are in the water. They can only kill what flows through the lighted chamber. Since the nitrifying bacteria colonizes on surfaces like LR, sand, tank glass then it will not harm your good bacteria. Very little of it is in the water.

FYI, very little parasites are in the water columns and unless you have the newer models with a bulb-wipe design the effectiveness isn't worth their weight. I can understand using them for a specific purpose, say breeders, but for general purposes I cannot.

Back
Top Bottom