In my opinion most equipment can be downsized to fit the nano reef hobbyist needs. The UV
is not one of them. Companies many times want to make money and try to replicate everything from a normal 50 gal
-120gal reef to a nano 2gal-25gal tank. The UV
needs to have as long as possible of a body for the water to run through with decent wattage to kill the parasites that could harm fish. If you take a look at some UV
information(Dr Foster+ Smith's site) they list the uv
's and the flow for effectively killing parasites. So, if you have an 18w unit, the flow to kill parasites would be 100 gal
/hour. Anything over that would only kill algae. With that thought, how can the manufacturer list a 9w unit to be able to handle tanks up to 125 gal
with a flow of 100-200 gal
/hr? That says to me that even though we want equipment to fit in our nano cubes, aquapods and still be small, by incorporating a 9w(in my opinion the 9w isn't enough to kill anything!) with a 100-200 gal
/hr pump will leave us thinking UV
doesnt work after we witness the ich showing present in the tank laughing back at us.
IN my opinion, 18w is the minimum wattage for a small tank(up to 50 gal
), and the flow in it should be at MOST 100 gal
/hr. That way, you would have the flow to flow your tank volume 2x/hr with decent light exposure of enough power to kill the parasites.
Bige, im not an expert, nor do I want to criticize your friend's UV
use, but to me, running 5000 gph
through a UV
, you wouldnt be killing anything..its kust way too much water too fast for any lamp to me able to reach the parasites.
That is why I think people have the idea that UV
's dont work, when in reality, it that they misuse that equipment and spend their money the wrong way. I know companies also dont help coming up with stuff that dont work, but well, welcome to America, here is the place if you want to come with stuff that promisses things that wont work!
On those cases you have to come up with procedures that will work for you, such as slowing flow, getting a larger uv