UV Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amdninjaboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wondering how many use a UV sterilizer? Im considering one after a case of velvet wiped out my tank.. My tank has been empty for 8 weeks now.. All fish will be quarantined for minimum 4 weeks before being added to the DT.. Just wondering if adding a UV sterilizer as a last defense if a little critter makes it through the quarantine somehow it would get rid of it before any problems arise.. Thinking of it more as just overcautious addition.. Those who do use them, how big of one do I need? I see them rated from 5 watts up to like 50 or 60 watts? Does higher watts kill anything more?? Or is it just more efficient??
I have a 90Gal FOWLR DT with a 20 Gal sump.. Tank will be a predator tank with a dwarf lionfish, harlequin tusk, flame angel and a porc puffer..

Thanks
Shane.

My personal opinion is to pass on the uv. BUT for every person that has the same thought there are the same number of people who swear by them.

It's just one of those pieces of equipment that gets controversy.

I happen to have one running in my cube right now cause I got it for free. :)

It's supposed to help with algae as well but I havent noticed anything yet.

Also, I think the UV can help get the ich off fish but it can't help once it;s in the tank as the life cycle of ich is about 6 weeks.

Just my two cents....

I have a uv running on my main tank and I still managed to get velvet! Only reason I use it is to stop algae blooms

I got mine for free, so I use it, but I don't know if I would have bought one. And it's running and I still have algae :p

Back
Top Bottom