UV Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As many of you know, I've been battling with green water for some time now. Now I'm embarking on another battle... ICH!! I'm really getting fed up with all of these problems and I've decided that I'd like to get a UV Sterlizer. If I'm understanding this correctly, the UVS will not only clear up the aquarium, but it will also prevent further outbreaks of Ich?

Does anyone have any kind of a recommendation on which UV Sterilizer I should get? The aquarium is a 46 gallon bow tank and it currently has 1 Sailfin Pleco and 2 Dwarf Gouramis in it (I lost my 2 Pictus Cats over the weekend).

When I do get one, how does it work? Do I have to keep it set up all of the time? Does it 'replace' the need for a filter (I currently have the AquaClear 3000)? How long will it take to clear up the water to make it clear again?

Any other info or links will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you from a newbie who's quickly becoming overwhelmed and frustrated with this hobbies problems!! :(

- Mandy

Most UV sterilizers require a separate pump or at least a canister filter of some sort to pump the water through them. I believe there are some in-tank sterilizers out now that wouldn't require a separate pump but I don't know much about them. I use a 25 watt Aqua brand UV sterilizer driven by a Filstar XP3 canister filter on my 125G and it works well - never a problem with green water or sick fish. www.drsfostersmith.com has a good selection of UV sterilizers at good prices.

Did you get a PO4 testkit? What is the PO4 level in your tank?
heat treats ich quite well.. 86degrees for 2-3 weeks and start QTing all new arivals and your ich problems will be over.. :p

greenmaji - No, I haven't gotten the Phosphate test kit yet. Believe it or not, not one of the lfs carry this test. I've called several stores, many of which are completely out of my way, and I can't find anyone who carries it. My only option is ordering it online. I may do some shopping online to look for more caves/hiding places so maybe I'll order from an online store who does carry this.

Now since I'm battling Ich, the thought of never having to worry about this again is very tempting! I'd really like to get a UV Sterilizer as this would take care of two of my main problems... green water and Ich.

As far as Q'ting new arrivals, that's a bit difficult for me as this tank is at work. I can't have another tank set up (even at just 5 or 10 gallons) in the office. I don't think that would fly with my boss. One option is getting one for home and transporting them to work, but I'm not to thrilled about having to stress the fish out by moving them from the store to my home to my work, etc. I may give it a shot though just for piece of mind! :)

- Mandy

A UV will definitley help with green water. You could also try putting Chemi-Pure in your filter, I've heard this clears up algae as well (cant personally vouch for this though). UV should help with ich too, make sure you have it on maximum dwell and have enough microwattage for larger micron pests like bacteria and parasites.

drsfostersmith.com has turbotwist on sale for 69.99, or you can get a jebo if youre prepared to reseal the leaks you will probably get, but they run about 40.00. Once I got mine all sealed up it works ok.

And if you want to test for phosphate you can get a kit online, like drfostersmith or bigals

You may want to consider just getting a cheapo 5 or 10 gallon, or even just a rubbermaid container for a QT. The only equip you need is a sponge filter, air pump and tubing, stability from seachem and a heater and like a fake plant or something for the fish to hide in. Nothing fancy. I think it would be worth it so you have an extra layer of protection for your main tank. It shouldnt be too stressful on them, just when youre transporting them keep them in the dark.

are any of your LFS's privitly owned.. if so they will order a PO4 testkit for you..
Once you have treated a tank for ich there is no chance of it coming back (its dead) so continual treatment of the illness is not nessisary.
If you can solve the PO4 problem with not overfeeding and good tank maintainace practices (assuming there isnt a great deal of PO4 in your tapwater) and treat the ich with heat (or a heat and salt combination if you dont have salt sensitve fish) you can save your $$$ for MTS!!!! :p :p :p :p :p

Back
Top Bottom