Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

UV sterilizer help

I am looking into getting a UV sterilizer and have no clue which one to get. Any suggestions? I am currently running a Auqua clear 70 power filter and a reef octopus BH100 protein skimmer. I hope the addition of the UV sterilizer will complete my filtration system.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Forgot to add this is on my 30 gal tank.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You don't really need a uv sterilizer, but it won't hurt anything. The more water that passes through the uv light the better. So, and this is just an assumption on my part, the new "twist" uv sterilizers would prob work well.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I've had a little problem with red slime algae so I turned back my lighting a little and will see if that helps. I'm also going to do water changes every 3 weeks instead of 4. I thought the addition of a well performing UV sterilizer would help with the algae problems and keep my water and tank looking pristine, am I wrong?
Old 04-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A sterilizer won't fix this issue. UV will kill spores and parasites, but it is far from being able to sterilize all the water in the tank. They are only an added preventative rather than a solution.

How long are your lights on now? How much water are you changing? I do 10% every week, I would suggest the same.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Red slimes not a algae its a bacteria which I myself am battling I have a uv a diablo 160 skimmer a on a 20 gallon Berlin Sump all lights are new and only feed once evey 3 days ...so in my case I have learned I'm getting phosphates in my water some how ...I started the chemi clean elite ...ill let u know how it goes ... And I use a 5 stage rodi so not sure where mines comming from
Old 04-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
A sterilizer won't fix this issue. UV will kill spores and parasites, but it is far from being able to sterilize all the water in the tank. They are only an added preventative rather than a solution.

How long are your lights on now? How much water are you changing? I do 10% every week, I would suggest the same.
I have my blues come on at 10 am. Then the whites come on from 12-6 and blues shut down at 8.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Do water changes more frequently and feed less. If it gets to out of hand, toss in some red slime remover and it'll be gone over night. But if you dont' fix the underlying issue it will just come back.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Do water changes more frequently and feed less. If it gets to out of hand, toss in some red slime remover and it'll be gone over night. But if you dont' fix the underlying issue it will just come back.
Yea i may do a 5 gal change every two weeks and see if that helps. So final verdict, will a UV sterilizer benefit my tank or is it a lost cause?
Old 04-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Won't hurt.

Tags
uv sterilizer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com