UV sterilizer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishsticks

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking into getting a UV sterilizer and have no clue which one to get. Any suggestions? I am currently running a Auqua clear 70 power filter and a reef octopus BH100 protein skimmer. I hope the addition of the UV sterilizer will complete my filtration system.

You don't really need a uv sterilizer, but it won't hurt anything. The more water that passes through the uv light the better. So, and this is just an assumption on my part, the new "twist" uv sterilizers would prob work well.

Well I've had a little problem with red slime algae so I turned back my lighting a little and will see if that helps. I'm also going to do water changes every 3 weeks instead of 4. I thought the addition of a well performing UV sterilizer would help with the algae problems and keep my water and tank looking pristine, am I wrong?

A sterilizer won't fix this issue. UV will kill spores and parasites, but it is far from being able to sterilize all the water in the tank. They are only an added preventative rather than a solution.

How long are your lights on now? How much water are you changing? I do 10% every week, I would suggest the same.

Red slimes not a algae its a bacteria which I myself am battling I have a uv a diablo 160 skimmer a on a 20 gallon Berlin Sump all lights are new and only feed once evey 3 days ...so in my case I have learned I'm getting phosphates in my water some how ...I started the chemi clean elite ...ill let u know how it goes ... And I use a 5 stage rodi so not sure where mines comming from

Sniperhank said:
A sterilizer won't fix this issue. UV will kill spores and parasites, but it is far from being able to sterilize all the water in the tank. They are only an added preventative rather than a solution.

How long are your lights on now? How much water are you changing? I do 10% every week, I would suggest the same.

I have my blues come on at 10 am. Then the whites come on from 12-6 and blues shut down at 8.

Do water changes more frequently and feed less. If it gets to out of hand, toss in some red slime remover and it'll be gone over night. But if you dont' fix the underlying issue it will just come back.

Sniperhank said:
Do water changes more frequently and feed less. If it gets to out of hand, toss in some red slime remover and it'll be gone over night. But if you dont' fix the underlying issue it will just come back.

Yea i may do a 5 gal change every two weeks and see if that helps. So final verdict, will a UV sterilizer benefit my tank or is it a lost cause?

It will be beneficial to the tank. However- you want a pump that you can push the water thru the bulb as slow as possible. If its too fast it wont do anything. It takes a while for the uv light to actually deform the parasites to death.

Uv will make for clearer water as well

No, it will not make your water clear. It's not a method of filtration. It will cure a "green water" issue, and that's about it. if you don't have a green water problem, then I would spend the money on salt or livestock.

mr_X said:
No, it will not make your water clear. It's not a method of filtration. It will cure a "green water" issue, and that's about it. if you don't have a green water problem, then I would spend the money on salt or livestock.

How would salt or livestock help the quality of my tank? I'm trying to get rid of red slime algae for good and thought a uv sterilizer might help keep the quality of my water good when teamed up with my filtration system. I changed my lighting schedule and gonna do water changes more often, what else besides using chemi clean would help

Salt would help you with water changes. the point is, don't waste the money.
A UV sterilizer will do absolutely nothing for cyanobacteria.

mr_X said:
Salt would help you with water changes. the point is, don't waste the money.
A UV sterilizer will do absolutely nothing for cyanobacteria.

So basically tweaking my lighting and water changes more often will prove more beneficial than adding a UV sterilizer

Cyano is brought on by excessive nutrients 99% of the time. vacuuming it out with each water change, more frequent water changes, and cutting back on feeding is the best defense. if your lamps are old, or a lower spectrum, this may have an effect as well.

Cyano is brought on by excessive nutrients 99% of the time. vacuuming it out with each water change, more frequent water changes, and cutting back on feeding is the best defense. if your lamps are old, or a lower spectrum, this may have an effect as well.

I totally agree with Doug. Good advice there.

mr_X said:

I've been feeding once a day, alternating between flake one day and mysis shrimp cube the next. Do u recommend a something different? I have one coral beauty and two clowns, one LTA, couple crabs and some coral.

How much are you feeding? Are you thawing the mysis in tank water and discarding the water before adding it to the tank, or just tossing the cubes in? Rinsing the mysis a bit will help. You can feed every other day with no ill effects.
If it's not the amount of food you are feeding, it's the infrequency and/or size of the water you are changing.

mr_X said:
How much are you feeding? Are you thawing the mysis in tank water and discarding the water before adding it to the tank, or just tossing the cubes in? Rinsing the mysis a bit will help. You can feed every other day with no ill effects.
If it's not the amount of food you are feeding, it's the infrequency and/or size of the water you are changing.

One cube thawed with tank water, but I haven't been discarding the water after its thawed, I just suck it up with a syringe and empty into tank. What significance does discarding the water I have do?

Back
Top Bottom