Uv sterilizer or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a 75 gallon, while at work (Petsmart) I grabbed a small uv sterilizer that has a powerhead as well, just got it home and set up, (not plugged in) and then realized it may not be a good idea. I read it can kill the beneficial bacteria as well.

What do you guys think? Should I take it back?

It's rated for 40g tanks. I kind of got carried away, and bought it without thinking it through lol. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Uv sterilizers have the ability to kill whatever passes through them, good or bad. That said, to be effective all of the water has to be able to pass through the filter. When it comes to hobby grade, this isn't viable and doesn't occur.

But to the OP's point most bacteria that is beneficial live in films on surfaces and so are unaffected by such uv filters. It may be best to turn them off for the initial cycle (though I doubt it matters much) as some of the "seed" bacteria may need to come in from the water, but in an established tank I would not worry about it.

All that bad boy will most likely do is prevent/deter green water..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And kill free floating algaeif there was any. Since it kills everything it can also clear up the water pretty quick.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks, I think I've decided to leave it unplugged while cycling, and then use it after the cycle. We just started carrying it at the store I work at, so I'm excited to see how it does. Here's the tank so far, we just filled it today. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427687248.082194.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Different hv sterilizers are rated to kill different things. The weakest ones kill only algae. The next step up kills bacteria. The most powerful ones kill everything including parasites.

This is all based on gph, exposure time, and wattage of the bulb.

Bought at let smart, i would assume that its made for algae.

It could help keep coralline from forming.

This is all based on gph, exposure time, and wattage of the bulb.

Ignore this comment if it is a self-pumping UV filter....

And within limits if you plumb it so you can slow down the flow, you can increase the effectiveness. While some really poor ones may just not work at all, by increasing the time any drop of water is exposed to the light (dwell time) you increase the effectiveness. The worst case is to pump water really fast through it, then it almost does no good.

People will often put them in-line with a filter, but on a separate branch they can throttle with a ball valve (imagine it looks like a rest stop on an interstate, if you are in the US).

And within limits if you plumb it so you can slow down the flow, you can increase the effectiveness. While some really poor ones may just not work at all, by increasing the time any drop of water is exposed to the light (dwell time) you increase the effectiveness. The worst case is to pump water really fast through it, then it almost does no good.

People will often put them in-line with a filter, but on a separate branch they can throttle with a ball valve (imagine it looks like a rest stop on an interstate, if you are in the US).

why ignore mebbid at all, that was a perfectly viable point.

An in line style of UV filter would be the only way that these will be effective in the hobby. That said, that can get expensive and you won't be seeing them at your local pet shop most of the time.

why ignore mebbid at all, that was a perfectly viable point.

My apologies that is not at all what I meant.

I meant ignore MY comment if you have a self-pumping UV filter, as you cannot usually throttle those down.

mebbid's comments were exactly accurate. I was just trying to elaborate that one can change from killing only algae to perhaps bacteria by slowing the flow.

I am sorry if I implied I was referring to his comment and not mine.

Back
Top Bottom