Uv Sterilizer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just discovered what a UV sterlizer does, and now I want one =o)

I was looking on ebay and I saw some great deals.. well.. what I thought were some great deals. Are there any brands I should stay away from?

Im pretty sure I only need an 8w for my 75gal FW tank, right?

Any comments/advice are appreciated!

thanks! that was a really good article

I want a Uv sterilizer becauase ive been fighting an algea bloom for a while now. Im about to move, and since the tank will be in a different place, with less sun, maybe the algea bloom problem will stop.... but if not I might invest in a UV sterilizer

lyquidphyre said:
thanks! that was a really good article

I want a Uv sterilizer becauase ive been fighting an algea bloom for a while now. Im about to move, and since the tank will be in a different place, with less sun, maybe the algea bloom problem will stop.... but if not I might invest in a UV sterilizer

8W is going to be too low for your tank. Although it all depends on flow rate, with my UV if I ever have an outbreak of ich or some other disease I would have to turn my filter down to 55 gph for it to kill paracites. On my tank, thats turning over the water only once an hour, on yours it would be even worse. Go with a 16W or better. Jebo makes some cheap models that are said to work well, with their prices you could even get the 36W model. Only problem is the thing is huge. Anyway, hope that helped, UVs are great and I love mine!

Back
Top Bottom