uv sterilizer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of the things that came with my tank is a startronics omnizap 25 watt uv sterilizer. -I think- I was told by my lfs guy I didn't really need it, so I put it out in the garage and sorta forgot about it. Well I tried to find some info on this darn thing and I cant find much. I am assuming its rather old. How can I tell if this thing works? Should I even try it out?

I'd replace the bulb and plug it in. If the light comes on and water flows thru it (at a slow rate, BTW), it works. Somewhere, you should be able able to find the recommended flow rate for any brand 25w UV sterilizer and get the right pump for it. Water flowing too fast thru these things makes'm not work. Target organisms just get stunned rather than burned and killed.

I've heard folks say how clear their water became when they used'm. Some don't use'm at all and say they're not good to use - killing good stuff too. Some claim parasite killing as the reason to use'm. There are a bunch of opinions, but if you've been doing fine so far w/out one, maybe leave it alone.

If your not sure what the UV does for the tank please check our articles area we have two great articles on UV and their usage. A note about the bulb. As Ray suggested the first thing if your thinking about using it would be to replace the bulb as the UV bulbs should be replaced every year or so anyway and if the unit was used then who knows how old the bulb is. When test firing the new bulb dont look directly at the light. Since the bulb peaks in the UV range alot of the light wont be apparent to you but will be damaging to your eyes. Look away when you plug it in so you can see the light as a reflection off of the wall or something. Some UV units have a small pin hole that you can see light comming out of as a way to know the bulb is lit.

Does any one know anything about this particular brand? I spent about an hour searching last night and I couldn't find anything about the company or anything.

I have never heard of that brand. Are you sure that that is not a model type? I swear by UV. I have an FOWLR. I keep mine flowing very slowly with a ball valve between the PH and the UV. It keeps my water crystal clear, destroying algae, and I have not had a parasite problem since installing it. I think they are very good for fish that are more prone to ich, like powder blue tangs and touchy angels and butterfies. Replace the bulb though. Some will argue, if you quarantine you will not need one of these. I think they are a great safeguard.

This guy sells replacement bulbs for it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3212&item=4375823898&tc=photo

And here is the manufacturer. Not sure if they are still is business.
Aquatronics /Filtronics
1620 Beacon Place
Oxnard, CA 93033
Mailing adress is:
P.O. Box 2457
Oxnard, CA 93033
Phone: (805) 486-2614
800-350-2616
Fax: (805) 486-2491
President of the company is Pablo Ramon Escobal also known as Peter
He wrote a book entitled "Aquatic Systems
Engineering: Devices and How They Work" looks like he is credited as being a real smart guy. He use to work for NASA
You can find his book here.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...rchase/ref=pd_sxp_elt_mor/002-4631016-8694406

I hope this helps

yes he does deserve the kudos.
How did you find all that info? Am I that bad at looking for stuff on the web?
And kudos to you Salty for the thought.

Back
Top Bottom