UV sterilizer set up question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am ready to buy a UV sterilizer. Alot of the 9 and 8 watts are rated for only 100-200 GPH. Does that mean i can't put them attatched to my mag drive 9.5 (9500gph) Or is that just the optimal running gph.

I saw a Gamma UV thats 8 watt and can handle up to 1,100 gph. would that be a better choice to connect to my mag drive?
(the gamma 15 watt 1,800 gph is the same price as the turbo twist 9watt 200 gph, $99.99)

I was looking at the turbo twist. It seems to be the most popular.

and just to understand correctly, you do want it sit in-line with you return pump right?

Just a few questions before i actually buy. I learned alot of lessons from past impulse buying.

Thanks guys.

Having it flow too quickly through the sterilizer will not give it the optimum effect. For turbotwists, the best way to go is to have your flow at about 80% of the recomended. We actually just hooked up 3 of them at my work. 1 9 watt, 1 18 watt, and 1 36 watt. We used mini pumps for the 9 and 18 watt, and a maxijet 600 for the 36 watt.

The way the turbotwist works, is inside the main chamber there are corkscrew grooves surrounding the UV bulb. As the water is pumped through it travels through the corkscrew and gets its exposure to the UV light. If it travels too fast, it won't kill off the bacteria and parasites as well as it would if it were traveling at the recomended rate.

So far, I'm pleased with the Turbotwist brand, but time will tell.

HTH,

Matt

You want a UV on its own pump, the mag 9.5 is way too fast for a UV to work and iMO would be a waste of $$ if you use it that way.
UV slow is better, they call it dwell time in the UV light, this is important for it to work correctly, If flow is too fast then it will not work. Pick up a small PH for the flow, there only $20-25.

Ok. i see.
So which UV would be better to go with?
And i would connect the Power head to the sump and have it run throught the UV then back up to the tank of just right back into the sump?

exactly....I have a turbo twist and love mine...I have a pump in my sump to pump water through the UV, then it drains right back into my sump on the other side. I like it better this wasy because it is all completely concealed, although you could also do the same within the main.

I rna mine like Doc.. everything in the sump out of sight. That way if the power goes out there is on less thing draining back water from the tank.

I use a 36w turbo twist. I have had no problems. I also have mine on a seperate pump concealed in the sump.

everyone likes the maxi jets from what Ive read.. I had some back about 10 years ago.. they were rock solid peices of equipment then and they dont seem to be changing that any time soon.. :mrgreen:

btw.. If I put a UV on my system I would plumb a loop for it in my closed loop.. tee off the closed loop plumbing for the in and out and put a valve in the middle between them on the closed loops main plumbing to controll the flow through the UV (a gate valve would make the adjustment very accurate)
I hope you get that.. If not Ill try to give you more info on it.. :D
PM me if I miss a question about this.. :D

So, A maxi jet 600 (160gph) would be good for the 9 watt turbo twist (200 gph max) right?

If so then thats the one i'm going to order.

Thanks

Question for anyone with a maxi jet ph: Is the tip where the water comes out of the powerhead shaped round or square? My friend gave me a powerhead but the tip is squared.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom