Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Uv sterilizer suggestions

Getting ready to install a UV sterilizer on my 150 gal Mbuna tank. Any suggestions on which UV sterilizer to purchase?

150gal Mbuna African Cichlid
wet/dry filtration
Sleeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Unless there's a specific reason that you need a UV sterilizer... I wouldn't bother. They don't give enough benefit in my mind to justify the cost of buying one. Good water parameters will do more for a tank than a UV sterilizer ever could.

That being said, UV sterilizers are rated for different things. Some are rated for killing algae (more specifically used against green water). Others that are slightly more powerful are for bacteria. Finally, the most powerful ones are for parasites. So in order to make a suggestion we need to know what you're hoping to fight against.

Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you are trying to kill algae spores and green water I had good experience with the mean green killing machine. Its a pretty cost effective solution and I think it did have a slight affect on water clarity. Now I don't use one and achieve the same water clarity with good water care practices. Hope this helps!
High-Tech 55 gallon-10 gallon reef
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
I've Got plants! Visit: www.lincolnsaquatics.com to see whats available!
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
It does help like an extra filter, and has kept my water clean but not the rocks just good for floating algae and bacteria .

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
RedDevil83 is offline   Reply With Quote

suggestions, uv sterilizer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com