Uv Sterilizers ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemc75

Aquarium Advice Activist
What's your thoughts on uv Sterilizers
For sw 125 with 55 sump ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My opinion, pretty useless. Only a certain amount of water can physically pass through it so I doubt it has much effect. It will not kill ich or keep it from appearing as many people think, not sure what you had in mind. lol

There are sooo many other things that you can invest in that would have a beneficial effect that I wouldnt worry about getting a UV.

some people swear by em, and they have their reasons I suppose but for me it never made sense. I have kept a good amount of tanks over the last few years and currently have 5 running, successfully, think anyways, and there are no uv's on any of the setups.

IME was the best 100$ I spent... Had an ich break out in my tank about one month ago, I did not realize that at first till my gang got it. I don't have a quarantine tank, so after talking with the LFS I got convinced to buy one, so I got the twister by coralia....
In about 4 days the ich on the tang disappear and now looks so healty...
There is a chart about the uv sterilizer I got, low flow to kill parasite,like ich, medium flow for algae grow and high flow to kill bacteria....
That just my experience, I had a 30 g for over 2 and 1/2 year without running a uv, after I saw what happened to my tang I give to the uv a must have....

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

in this hobby, I find that if somebody tries something different or new, (it may or may not work), however if it didn't negatively affect the aquarium, they leave it on. I would say UV sterilizers are one of those. We just keep adding things to the tanks all the time :) part of the hobby I suppose but one more piece of equipment to maintain. I have been thinking about one just not sure if its that effective

I hear a lot of mixed opinions. I don't think in anyway shape of form it will negatively affect your tank and can only help. I'm pretty happy with my turbo twist and it has only benefited me. When it comes down to it you could totally get by without it but it's extra insurance and helpful to the tank so why not.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a 90 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. Whats the best ones for mine and the OP?

I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank that I was looking for a benefit from a UV sterilizer but after 6 months of use and no change noted I removed and sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom