UV Sterilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seacat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tank has been set up for almost 1 and half years and was just wondering if a Uv Sterilizer is worth the $100-150 to help fight off algea and reduce amounts of water changes. Im going to college in about 2 months and wont be able to care for my babies like before.

A UV sterilizer will not change the need for routine water exchanges. I'd only recommend UV sterilizers for large tanks and those that experience a lot of turnover in livestock, like LFS. They are indiscriminate in the microbes they kill. Reef tanks rely heavily on microbes.

You're best bet is to test the water regularly, keep the nitrates down, have plenty of snails and hermits, a little rock blenny helps too...you can cut light time to 8 hours a day and if the tank is near a window, shade the part the sunlight glares on.

If you are going to college and won't be able to care for the tank, then I'd suggest you find someone to take them if you can't find someone to take care of them.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom