UV Sterilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_fanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do these help reduce algae and cyano? And also do they lessen the chance of ich and other parasites?

Just wondering if these are worth the money.

-Thanks

It really depends on the wattage of the UV itself, and the ability to regulate the flow. With a low wattage bulb, it will help control the algae a bit, but it most likely won't do anything for parasites. Some say if the wattage is too high, especially on a reef, that it will destroy bacteria that is needed. I know there have been some articles on this before, so if I run across them I'll shoot them over to you.

Mike

free floating algae only.... NOT cyno bacteria..
It only kills what flows through it.. so if the ich dose not make it through the light it will live. The flow rate through the light is very important, too fast and it does nothing..
There are many opinions on if there good or not.. I had one and loved it, I will be getting another soon.. Good peace of mind...

I like mine. I think that it does a good job on algea and ick but the only true way to take care of these problems is to find out what is causing them and adjust. UV`s help but are not the whole solution. Good luck on your problem

I run one on one of my 3 tanks. The three tanks all look the same, lol. Not sure if it is doing me any good, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything either! LOL!

Agreed, always had one and have not had a problem with ich out breaks. Hey Maple Shade, I grew up in Moorestown...

Small World

Back
Top Bottom