uv sterilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

army6192plt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what would be an appropreate size (watts) and flowrate for a 65 gal tank. Any product suggestions would be great thanks for your help

tj

I run a UV on my 55 gal

My 55 gal tank filter setup incorporates an 8 watt UV near the end of the filter loop, and the flow rate is somewhere around 225 gph.

pentair3.jpg
[/img]

im looking to get parasite kill off with this as well. I am planning on putting it in the output line of my eheim 2224 filter aprog 120-130 gph any thoughts??? Thanks for the suggestion but i am not sure 8 w at that flow rate is going to kill off the parasites like i want.

tj

I've seen some theoretical calculations ...

... and the math says that parasite kill is a function of both light intensity and exposure time. Obviously you can increase the light intensity by going with a higher wattage unit ... at a higher initial and ongoing operating cost ... but also with increased water heating side effects, which can potentially create a significant tank overheating problem. The other side of the equation is to extend exposure time, which translates into a UV unit with a bigger 'body' and/or a slower flow rate. This is the main reason that I chose to go with a Pentair unit, which has several times as much water volume thus several times as much exposure time as most 'inline' UV units in the same wattage range.

Back
Top Bottom