versa tops stability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msbarksdale

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm pretty much a novice with aquariums, I have a 13 gallon with a few guppies now I plan on getting my 55gallon cichlid started..As I'm buying parts...I purchased 2 24" aqueon versa tops. My tank has the black lip and bracket in the middle and the tops sort of just sit up ON the bracket and lip and not quite actually fit "in" as I thought it was supposed to like a hood does. Am I wrong? Is it supposed to fit like that?(See attached image) If it does, what can I do to make this a secure fit

Attachments

• tanktop.jpg
    tanktop.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 67
Does it fit into the lip side to side? Just not front to back?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No it doesn't fit in either see attached

Attachments

• frontside.jpg
    frontside.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 87
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 51
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 61
Wrong brand. Certain brands fit certain brands but they're not all interchangeable. What brand tank?

Wrong brand. Certain brands fit certain brands but they're not all interchangeable. What brand tank?

That definitely must be the issue, I have a tetra tank with Aqueon lids :banghead: the lids were a gift, lol Oh boy

the plastic back section is designed to sit over the rear lip not inside it you will see a straight glide under lid of plastic there usually are 2 of them as some tanks are a little narrower than others , the plastic section is made to be cut depending on the tank size.
now to fit the filters you'll need to cut out the plastic in the area you want your filter I use a dremel to cut it as it cuts neater and easier ,

Just caught you newer post as I missed it as I was typing what brand tank do you have?
aquaeon tanks use a versa brand glass top
tetra tanks use only a tetra glass top as the tank sizes are different even though there both 55g ones like a 1/4 inch different than the other , you can bring your top to a glass shop and have it cut it wont shatter as it's not the glass that breaks into tiny pieces
forgot the 2 names of the different glass I know them just don't come to mind
I had mine cut down

Last edited:
the plastic back section is designed to sit over the rear lip not inside it you will see a straight glide under lid of plastic there usually are 2 of them as some tanks are a little narrower than others , the plastic section is made to be cut depending on the tank size.
now to fit the filters you'll need to cut out the plastic in the area you want your filter I use a dremel to cut it as it cuts neater and easier ,

Just caught you newer post as I missed it as I was typing what brand tank do you have?
aquaeon tanks use a versa brand glass top
tetra tanks use only a tetra glass top as the tank sizes are different even though there both 55g ones like a 1/4 inch different than the other , you can bring your top to a glass shop and have it cut it wont shatter as it's not the glass that breaks into tiny pieces
forgot the 2 names of the different glass I know them just don't come to mind
I had mine cut down

Its actually reversed I have a Tetra Tank(55gallon) and Aqueon tops(2 24" tops), I wished I had known this its ok I may have to get the glass cut thanks, I really dont want to purchase new one-since these were gifted-But since the glass doesn't fit IN the lip the plastic section doesnt even sit down in it.

Back
Top Bottom