Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
fis
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok - I tried the water solution before the vinegar. The water isn't working. There's a mechanical buzzing noise coming from the motor area. I don't know if it's starting to stop working or what. I'm hoping the vinegar will help.

What's weird is that it almost seems like something is vibrating the wrong way. I've broken it down completely and put it back together 3x. I don't think I'm missing anything - but if you touch it, or move it a little, sometimes the vibration seems to improve. I'm not sure what that means, or if it is the motor just failing because of gunk in it and/or it's on its way out.

I have to fix this though - or just get a new filter. I can't take the noise anymore!!!

Thanks again-

Old 03-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bummer, sorry it didn't work. When the coil (motor) gets gunk in it I use a q-tip to clean out the impeller chamber. But for me anyways, it's more reduced flow than noise when the impeller gets gunked up.

Are you in contact with AC's helpdesk? They stand by their products and may have a better solution.

If you decide to trade brands, check out Fusion power filters. I have one, a 40 (along with the AC50) on my 37 tall and it works great.

Hope you can resolve it and please keep us updated.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Old 03-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
fis
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ah, no worries - it was a try.

I hadn't even thought of the help desk!

I did the vinegar soak yesterday, and got in there and got what gunk there was out, then rinsed and rinsed, put it all back together and...the noise is better. But not gone.

It still seems like something mechanical. I'm going to try the helpdesk tomorrow.

Thank you for the tip on the new filter - for now the noise isn't horrendous, so we'll see how long this one can last without driving us nuts!

Thanks again for the advice-
Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check that the pin the impeller rides on is straight. I've got an AC50 that I bought used and the pin was bent just a little and it made noise similar to what you're describing.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fis
Ah, no worries - it was a try.

I hadn't even thought of the help desk!

I did the vinegar soak yesterday, and got in there and got what gunk there was out, then rinsed and rinsed, put it all back together and...the noise is better. But not gone.

It still seems like something mechanical. I'm going to try the helpdesk tomorrow.

Thank you for the tip on the new filter - for now the noise isn't horrendous, so we'll see how long this one can last without driving us nuts!

Thanks again for the advice-
It's most likely the impeller chattering that you are hearing. Call/email AC and I bet they have an answer.

Good luck!

Sent from my Epic 4G

Tags
aquaclear, clear, noisy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com