Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
fis
Aquarium Advice Regular

Smile Very NOISY Aquaclear all of a sudden - advice on what to do please?

Hi-

I have a 70 gallon aquaclear on a 29 gallon tank. 1 8-10 inch goldfish. This is my second aquaclear - having been though other brands before, I settled on this one and was very happy with its performance, ease of cleaning, etc. The motor broke on the first one so I bought a second. Problem with this one though is that I had to break it down a few weeks ago because I hadn't cleaned it in a while and it got really gunky inside. I replaced the carbon but not the white sponge.
All was well until I got it running again, and now it won't stop making noise! I've tried leveling it a bit better, taking it apart and reassembling it, etc. - nothing helps!
I don't know if something's breaking in there? I took the propeller (impeller?) out of the motor and rinsed it, but there was nothing on it to begin with.

I'm considering just getting a canister filter and giving up on this, but maybe there's a cheaper option?

I just want some quiet!!

If anyone does recommend another filter - is a canister or an HOB filter better (as far as efficiency and quiet). I've already had whisper filters and penguin filters and weren't happy with either. But I've never tried a canister...

Thanks for any thoughts

Old 03-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Welcome to AA

AquaClear, IMHO, is the best HOB on the market. Have you checked the motor to make sure nothing is down there causing the impeller to grind? I've never heard any noise out of either of mine, and one is several years old. You could try soaking some vinegar down in the motor and impeller to see if there may be some calcium deposites or something of that nature down in there. How old is the filter? I'm not sure on the warranty, but if it's less than a year old, I'd imagine Hagen would cover it under warranty if something is wrong with it.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
fis
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks

That's what I had read about the brand. I shined a flashlight down there, and didn't see anything.
Now that I'm thinking about it, the same thing happened to the first one I had, and then one day the motor just stopped. The person at the aquarium store was very surprised an AquaClear would do that.
As far as the vinegar - I would pour a bit in straight? No dilution? And rinse after? How long should I soak?
I want to say it's 2-3 years old.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Yeah remove it from the tank, keep your media wet while you do this. Just take off the little plastic piece that covers the impeller and pour some vinegar down in it. Let it soak for an hour or two then rinse it very very very very very very good.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 03-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
fis
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok - I'll try this later today and report back.

Thanks for your quick help!

I don't know anyone else that has fish, and I'm so pleased that I found the board
Old 03-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've had a noise issue when starting up my AC50 on occasion and found the "grinding" noise was caused by an air bubble in the pick u-tube making the impeller rattle.

The solution I found is, make sure the intake and filter chambers are filled with tank water as running the motor dry will burn it out. If the pickup tube doesn't fill fully with water (which is what causes the noise), turn the flow down to minimum and slowly pour tank water directly into the intake chamber until the noise stops. It should quiet right down.

Sent from my Epic 4G
Old 03-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
fis
Aquarium Advice Regular

I hadn't considered an air bubble...I assumed if it was running and not making any popping sounds (like when there's air trapped) it was ok. I'll try that later when I get home as well-

Thank you!
Old 03-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I'm not sure it is air... If it were, it would sound like they do when you're just turning them on after a water change, kind of an empty churning pulsating noise. An air pocket doesn't cause a grinding noise IMO.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
fis
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes, ok, thank you for clarifying. I do hear that noise after a water change, as you said, but this is more of a mechanical/grinding - almost like a buzzing.

Perhaps if I just try everything something will work - lol

I'll start with the vinegar and see how it goes from there-
Old 03-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fis
Yes, ok, thank you for clarifying. I do hear that noise after a water change, as you said, but this is more of a mechanical/grinding - almost like a buzzing.

Perhaps if I just try everything something will work - lol

I'll start with the vinegar and see how it goes from there-
Yep, that's what I get too. The solution I explained clears it right up for me.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Tags
aquaclear, clear, noisy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com