Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Very uneven aquarium

Hello all,

I live in an old apartment building. For various reasons I had to move my 55g aquarium from the only level area of floor. The floors in my building are badly tilted and so i moved it to the most even place I could, but it's not great... I have two questions:

1. Is there any reason this could be harmful to the aquarium? (Stressing the glass?)
2. Could I use a wedge (or ramp like thing) under the stand to try and level it out?

I've attached a pic but it looks like the water level is different by ~1.5 inches.

All advice is appreciated, and thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_180746.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	307059  

Old 02-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You could just place shims under the lower side . Remove at least half the water to do this. You could the measure the thickness needed and replace shims with solid wood and then fill tank.
If you don't have a level just measure the water from top of tank on all 4 corners till they are the same...
I would not leave it like that.

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lol. Dang. Like Coral said, wedge something under the right side corners of the tank stand and slide a piece of wood under the right side then pull out the wedges and put wood under the corners. It looks like you could measure the drop in water from the right top of the tank and it would give you a good idea on how thick the wood you will put under the stand needs to be. I'd drop a little more than half the water if possible. Use particle board under the stand to level it.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the replies!

I considered blocks but i am worried if I just put a block of wood under one side it will leave part of the stand unsupported. Potentially letting the bottom of the stand sag or break? A 55g is heavy and idk how strong wood is...

I thought a wedge could offer more even support, but I also worry it would slide out.

Am I over thinking this?
Old 02-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
Lol. Dang. Like Coral said, wedge something under the left side corners of the tank stand and slide a piece of wood under the left side then pull out the wedges and put wood under the corners. It looks like you could measure the drop in water from the right top of the tank and it would give you a good idea on how thick the wood you will put under the stand needs to be. I'd drop a little more than half the water if possible. Use particle board under the stand to level it.
Fixed that for you.... lol

Could you post a picture of the stand so we can see what you're up against?
Old 02-10-2018, 10:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

All weight goes to corners of tank..No weight is pushing down in the middle.
Picture your tank on a metal stand..No support touching the floor but on corners...
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfry53 View Post
Fixed that for you.... lol

Could you post a picture of the stand so we can see what you're up against?

Thanks! And Yes, the left side will need raising. Pic should be below. But I belive it is a Top Fin Open and Close Storage Aquarium Stand for 55-75g.

It seems to have a base around the whole thing, not just 4 legs. That's the reason I hesitate to just raise the corners. But then I'm not an engineer so...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_225244.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	307070  
Old 02-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
All weight goes to corners of tank..No weight is pushing down in the middle.
Picture your tank on a metal stand..No support touching the floor but on corners...
Sorry if im being slow but are you suggesting leveling the tank instead of the stand?
Old 02-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use the composite plastic shims. Spilled water won't affect them and they won't rot. I had to do a major shim job on my 5 ft. Tank, it rests on a very wavy flagstone floor. The situation was much like yours. The tank is still not perfectly level. It slopes about 1/8 inch over 5 ft.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If that's a Top Fin stand, it's likely particleboard. When you shim the low corner up, a long gap will form between the floor and the stand base. You will also have to shim the noted gap, spacing the shims every 3 to 6 inches or the stand base might sag.

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com