Vessel to hold and mix about 100G of SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone.

I'm looking at doing a couple of very large water changes on my SW tank. The system has about 180G of water in it and I'd like to be able to do water changes of up to 100 gallons.

I have several trash cans on wheels that I use to move waste water around my house -- I use a siphon to drain it from the tank into the trash can, then pump it down the drain pipe of my house. These are great for managing the waste water for my water changes.

However, I no longer trust them to hold the SW while I mix it, because this year I had one of them fall over, spilling 40G of SW all over my carpet and laminate floor. I had to get the carpet cleaned, the laminate floor replaced, and the dehumidifiers that ran in that room for a week caused it to be 90 degrees nonstop, which caused even more problems with the tank. Also, the Homeowner's Insurance deductible wasn't very pleasant either.

What I'm looking for is some kind of vessel where I can hold SW while I mix it. There's plenty of room around my tank to put it. What's important to me is that it be very stable and able to hold a large amount of water. Anything that could possibly tip over is not preferred, so shorter is better, I suppose. I suppose something easy to store would be a plus, though I have an outside shed I could put it in when it's not in use. I have to do this inside because the weather outside is too cold for this (and I want it next to the tank so I don't have to move it).

The only idea I have for this is something like a kiddie pool. I don't know if that would hold enough water, though, and I wouldn't know where to find one in the winter in Ohio. Are there any ideas out there for what I could use for this? Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom