VHO bulb question - 59"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am in need of 2 new 59" VHO bulbs and am wondering if someone can tell me of a place I can get them and whats a good price? I pay about $45 each for them here locally in the Dallas TX area.
Appreciate all the information

Yes those are the ones. I have some places tell me its 59" and some 60".
However the ones I need are 110W. The 60" at Fosters Smith are 140W. I have an IceCap 660 and run 4 of the 110W VHO's.

I order them from here and they are 1/2 price than my LFS. I have to get the 72". I was impressed with the shipping to my house. They had them bubble wrapped and boxed. Very secure. I bet your tank looks very nice with 4 of them. I wanted to order another set but I got injured and will have to wait.

Melosu
But what wattage are your bulbs? I cant use the 140 watt can I on a Ice Cap 660?? If I did I would only be able to run 3 right? Am I missing something.
I will have to take a pic of my full tank for you to see when its lit up. Thanks for the compliment.

I dont have an ice4 cap ballast so I dont know. I have the old fashion heavy black ballast and I just have two lights but I`ve been told to get another set which is what I plan on doing I`ll have to get another ballast so I`ll assume you`ll have to also. But not sure. I`m horrible on lighting questions. We will wait for the more knowledgable people. Sorry.

I agree with mel. I do think as long as you don't go over the Wattage for the ballast 464W it should still work, regardless of the wattage of each bulb. You lighting folks or anyone correct me if I am wrong....

+++EDIT+++
I think you might get more expert advice if this is in the General Hardware/Equipment Discussion section.

From thatpetplace.com:

Ice cap ballasts can run different types of fluorescent lamps, even with a mixture of types of lamps per unit VHO (1500 MA), HO (800 MA) and standard (425 MA). Powers 2' to 6' (not exceeding the maximum wattage) between 140-480 watts, up to 16 ft. length. Bulbs or endcaps are not included.

Other sites mention it goes up to 440W max.

You could run 3 140W bulbs for a total of 420W which is only slightly under your current W total of 440W.

I found a 95W bulb at aquatichobbyaquariumsupply.com but haven't seen 110W 60" yet.

I've always thought 110W VHO bulbs were mostly 48".

Back
Top Bottom