VHO bulbs. Who likes what brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well this new/used 75 gal tank I got came with an icecap 660 and 4 110W vho bulbs. The bulbs are who knows how old so I am going to just replace them from the start. This is my first fortray into VHO lighting for myself so im seaking advice from you VHO folks as to what brand of bulbs you like best and why.

Right now its got 4 110W 10K coralife bulbs but I was thinking more like a pair of actinics and a pair of 10K's.

So what are you VHO folks using and why?

URI makes the best VHO (and NO) bulbs on the market, for your 75, I would go with 2 X actinic and 2 X actinic white.

PS: I still think you should consider the T-5 HOs, the IceCap will run them and from what I've read you will get more light than straight VHO.

PS: I still think you should consider the T-5 HOs, the IceCap will run them and from what I've read you will get more light than straight VHO.
I agree

URI does make the best bulbs as well..
James

Gordon told me his T-5's got real hot. The canopy I got with the tank puts the bulbs rather close to the water, infact I had to wipe alot of salt off the old vho's. Not an optimal situation for hot bulbs to be that close to the water. I might build a new canopy this summer to get the bulbs higher off the water surface.

URI it is then. are the actinic white the 10K specitrm are are they sold under the description actinic white?

Now I gotta go see which of our sponsors carries those two speciturms in VHO URI bulbs.

i believe you would want the URI aquasun 10k bulb as well as the URI super actinic.. I am not 100% for sure on this but about 90% lol I know hellolights.com carries them for sure for about 23.95 per bulb plus s/h... You might want to check with Darin.. I think he might carry them also..

HTH<
James

And actually Darin does have them listed on his website.. captivereefs.com

He has awesome service as well..

James

Aqua suns are pink, stay away from them
The URI actinic white (50/50) is what it is sold as, and the actinics are URI super actinics.

Aqua suns are pink, stay away from them
Sorry I wasnt for sure on them.. That would have been pretty funny When i was going to order them for myself if they showed up pink.. LOL

James

So we are talking a pair of 50/50's and pair of ultra actinics.

Do the URIs have internal reflectors? I have a sheet of shiney aluminium from a another project that I can cut down to size and fit in the canopy I have but if these things have internal reflectors will I get that much benifit from an additional reflector under the bulbs?

I believe all URI bulbs have 180 reflectors built into them.. I could be worng but I would say I am 99% positive on this one lol..

Im sure to be irratating someone with all these noob questions about vho bulbs
Ahh I believe that this is what this place is all about.. Everyone helping everyone else out..

James

Yes, Aquasuns are kinda pinkish, but I like them a lot on my 90 planted tank, and everthing grows like mad.

I believe I'll stick with them.

Back
Top Bottom