VHO Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the deal with VHO lighting? It seems a lot of people love it but can find very few fixtures for sale most of what I find is the DIY kits. Is VHO that much better than T5 HO if not many people make a fixture for it? I am looking to upgarde my lighting from 260w PC this summer and I want a nice light with built in controls.

I have a retro VHO kit. The T5HO is better/newer technology. If you can afford the T5HO go with that.

VHO's put out more wattage, but there are no efficient reflectors made for them. The good, quality SLR (single lamp reflector) reflectors are what makes T5HO's good.

Thats actually pretty cool I did not know that I was actually looking at a 3rd light fixture Nova Extreme Pro HO T5 the fixture is onsale for $419 and comes with 6 54w bulbs. I actuall have the 260w PC version of this fixture and love it. Thanks for the info

I have VHO`s but like Larry said they really dont have the reflectors with them. I have my own reflector but it`s nowhere near the T5HO system.

100_1670.jpg

100_0972.JPG

Yeah Mike, you've got some serious VHO's going on there. Those are 6ft bulbs right?

What is the deal with VHO lighting? It seems a lot of people love it but can find very few fixtures for sale most of what I find is the DIY kits. Is VHO that much better than T5 HO if not many people make a fixture for it? I am looking to upgarde my lighting from 260w PC this summer and I want a nice light with built in controls.

T5HO with independant reflectors are more efficient than VHO. They put out more PAR and use less energy.

Aren't each of those bulbs 150watts? If so.. i would think that if you had a fixture like that, then it would be stronger than any T5 fixtures.. right? I mean.. the T5 fixtures without the T5/MH combination. That's like 600watts.. I've never seen a 600 watt T5 fixture before.

6' VHO bulbs are 160w each. Like I mentioned above, VHO's can't stand up to T5HO's because of the reflectors. Engineered reflectors are designed to direct the light down and into the water. There are no VHO reflectors made that accomplish that.

Larry has you covered. T5`s are better than VHO. Two things that help alot for me is that I use URI bulbs which have an internal reflector and the reflective dome but it lacks the intensity of T5HO`s. IMO VHO`s are a great retro fit solution for a SW tank.

Back
Top Bottom