VHO or MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Add on dual 175 MH or a dual VHO

• VHO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK...this is something I know has been talked and discussed alot....
i just need a poll...
I have researched and theres pros and cons to MH lighting and with VHO

I current have a dual 48 VHO on mytank and want to add to it...
The biggest issue I have with MH is heat...Im in fla and my tank is a room in my house thats not well air conditioned...fans keep my tank cool in the summer but barely....
I hate to add MH and not be able to keep it cool and have to then get a chiller....
but will 4 VHO lights be enough to have sea aneomes?....my tank isnt very deep....
The other issue is cost...I can get a retro kit for VHO and easily add on my hood for about $125 including bulbs
It will cost over $200 for MH and ill have to rebuild my hood.

I think you pretty well answered your own question with what you are willing to do. MH do add a good bit of heat. I have fans, it is a free hanging lighting system, not blocked by a canaopy, I keep the ambient room temp at 70 degrees all year round and my tank sits at 82 degrees. If the ac goes off, the tank temp rises quickly. If you cannot/or will not, cool the room down or the tank down, you should stick with VHO's.

yeah....thanks for the input...unfortantely its hard to control and keep the room temp low during the summer cause the room was poorly built and little insulation
gues my question is will 4 VHOs allow bubbletip anemones to live and thrive

I don't have air conditioning either, but I get away with MH and here's how: I dropped the glass from the fixture, I installed computer fans in the fixture, I have a ceiling fan, and I put a clip on fan under the stand on the sump. Of course, Colorado Springs probably wasn't as hot as Florida, and Oregon certainly isn't. But maybe you could put a box fan on your sump. Poor man's chiller?

i think im goin to go with VHO....i dont see any cons that show and prove VHO is insuffient for my tank

so....can anyone answer my question about 4VHOs with a anemone...thats my biggest question here

ok....just an update...i got a 2nd VHO kit for $60 from a guy i've used on ebay before.
the ballast is a ARO so i know its good. :)
got the bulb too :)
all for less then 150
not bad if i ask me
i know its goin to work nicey cause i have a hitchhiker anemone thats doin very nicely

so....can anyone answer my question about 4VHOs with a anemone...thats my biggest question here
I kept a BTA and a Sebae in a 29gal w/ 2x75w VHO's for well over a year. I think you'll be fine assuming you have atleast approx. 5WPG of VHO lighting. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom