Vintage Metal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dare2smile

Aquarium Advice Regular
Found this gorgeous four gallon at my local goodwill a couple weeks ago.
It holds water perfectly so no redrawing necessary!

I am, however, having a ton of trouble finding a top for it. No one seems to carry anything small enough, to the point where I've looked to see if I can have someone cut me specifically sized acrylic sheets. It's a 13.25 x 7.25 (x 9.5 tall). Any ideas?

Also, any suggestions about what to put in it?? I'm definitely planting but I can't decide if I should go with shrimp + betta or a handful of tetras/guppies.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420646354.494163.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420646365.527949.jpg

Also, suggestions for a heater? I'd really like one that auto-shuts-off, but my preliminary searching didn't see any that had that feature and were small at the same time.

A 25w adjustable heater would work. As far as the top goes they came with a metal lid and light combo back in the day. I would watch e bay for one.

If it don't have cats or anything that could find its way in it might be easier/cheaper to go with a mesh top? Or at least temporarily until you find acrylic

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would guess your best best bet on a lid would be to get one cut at a hardware store for you. A glass or acrylic sheet that size really shouldn't be too crazy pricey. If you would prefer to have an open top though, that would work too. Just avoid jumping fish.
With only 4 gallons, I would avouid any of the commonly available 2 inch tetras (ie, rummies, cardinals, black neons, ect) and either do shrimp, a betta, or some sort of nano schoolers. you will be pretty limited since there is not a ton of water volume to work with.

You should be able to get 1/4" glass cut in that size for less than $30.

Dave

Problem is with these older tanks there is no ridge for glass or plexi to rest on. it would have to just sit on top.

Could you perhaps weld/braze a small piece to create a ledge to prevent it from moving? You could even 2 part epoxy something at all 4 corners that won't look horrible. Maybe some type of cosmetic trim pieces. Or you could drill 4 holes and put a small screw at each of the 4 corners. Use a nice stainless steel button head screw and it won't look bad and probably won't detract from the look of the metal framing.

Dave

That is so cool! I'd personally plant the heck out of it and have shrimp.

Would love to see more photos as it progresses!

Vintage for sure! I like the second pic with bananas for scale.
I had a 10g steel frame with slate bottom years ago. Was my first tank as a child. Lost track of it during those college days. I also had the steel tank top to go with it. It offered no protection from water splash and I saw sparks shoot out of it.
You could go open top and suspend a light fixture or a use a sleek clip on style LED fixture.

Wow, thank you guys all so much for your ideas!!

I've been scrounging eBay (and the rest of the Internet) for a top that would fit, but I think I'm going to end up with something homemade. So far though, I've only seen one light that's small enough, a little 12-incher.

Also, has anyone got experience with filters like these? (Bananas included for scale ;) ) I've got a normal big 20 gallon at my parents and I've used the standard modern filters my whole life, but I really want to go with this for vintage's sake. I was thinking of even tying moss to the front to hide it and to bring more green to the tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420779769.492004.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420779779.778975.jpg

The circular thing is the plate for an under gravel filter designed for bowls. It needs a length of rigid airline tube and a riser tube. Air is pumped into the rigid tube where it then rises up through the riser tube. This draws water up the riser tube which pulls water through the gravel and through the plate.
The air powered corner filter operates the same way as the UG filter mentioned above does, however, instead of gravel, water is drawn through a layer of filter fluff and activated charcoal.

Back
Top Bottom