Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've had two visitherm heaters, one stealth and one something else ??/ They both worked well and were consistent once set but I had to adjust both of them several times to get them right. i think my heater is set at like 72-74 and my tank is at 78, had the same problem with a different stealth in a smaller tank, thermostat always had to set at a lower temp. Sounds like thats fairly common.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Erok,

I'm fine with the dial numbers not being accurate, I've never looked at them other than to set the "initial" temp. At which point I would then adjust up or down depending on the actual temp. My situation was not that the dials were innacurate, but that it wasn't changing the temp (but the dial was spinning) unless it was pulled/pressed in just the proper way.

To this day I still don't know exactly how I got the proper temp dialed back in, but it works (stable at ~79F), so I'm not even going to look at it cross!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

We need to be careful about what we use as a reference for the actual temperature. I've found aquarium thermometers, in general, to be grossly inaccurate. They may be precise while still being highly inaccurate. Precision is the ability to measure in fine increments. Accuracy is measuring the actual true value. I have 4 digital thermometers and I put them side by side in one tank for an experiment. Their readings varied over 10 degrees!!! If anyone knows of a thermometer model that is known to be accurate, I would be very interested in hearing about it. So far, I have found the stealth settings on the dial to be more accurate than all the aquarium thermometers I have ever had.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the Coralife digital thermometer and it is accurate.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic View Post
I use the Coralife digital thermometer and it is accurate.
As do I, and it has been checked with a laboratory-grade thermometer to be within a degree or two of stated. 10 degree variation is rediculous! You'd be better off with your hand....

Tags
eat, eater, heater, stealth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com