Vortech MP10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish noob

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I am starting my first saltwater tank. I had the LFS construct a custom 65 gallon acrylic tank made to fit a certain area in my home. The LFS also recommended the Vortech MP10 for it, so I ordered one of those as well.

Today, I received the tank, but have yet to get the MP10 because they accidentally sold the one I had reserved. However, I noticed the tank is nearly 3/4" acrylic. I read the MP10 will only work for up to 3/8" thick. Does anyone have experience with the MP10? Suggestions?

Thanks

3/4 on a 65gal that extreme overkill IMO. I do hope it didn't cost you too much . Could have easily been done with 3/8. Anyway it may still work for you the magnets are pretty good on those things

Can anyone suggest a powerhead that would be acceptable other than an Mp40? I have a 26x24x24 inch tank and want to keep Los, soft corals, and a few fish. Thanks!

I am a big fan of koralia powerheads. I would really try out the mp10 as far as the magnet and see if it will hold, you won't beat the performance of that circulation pump.

Koralias have a suction cup and a magnet to keep them in place. For your tank I would most likely pick 2 koralia 750's and maybe a third one for the back wall if needed. :)

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll take a look at those!

If the magnet on the vortex will not hold, no way the magnets on those Koralias are going to. The vortex magnet is way stronger. If you can't use the vortex you may have to go to a tunz or seio pump. If you're having a custom acrylic tank made, why not have it drilled and install a closed loop? Then you don't have to worry about powerheads at all.

Back
Top Bottom