Want to buy a new skimmer, please help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am currently using Prizm skimmer but it is too noisy I am looking for a new one. I want a HOB type but not in the tank outside the tank just like the prizm type.

Can anyone recommend one? Many people suggest Coralife super skimmer or Aqua C Remora but are these hang on but inside the tank? And are those airstone one much better than motorized one?

Please help guys... Thanks.

I like CPR Bak Paks. You will need a bubble reducer/surface skimmer box to go with it (costs more) and you don't want to use the extra sponge that comes with it. Despite those two little 'downfalls', it's a reliable skimmer.

There's also ViaAqua skimmer, which I believe is a combo skimmer/refugium.

Both hang on the back outside of the tank.

You can opt for just a refugium instead. Ecosystem have hang on the back refugiums. I've got an Ecosystem 40 on an 18 gallon (photos in my gallery of the tank). Does great. It's a bit on the big side, but I don't think they make one any smaller and I wanted to try it out. Been happy with it for 4 years now and still doing great.

I don't think it matters between air pump driven bubbles through the appropriate airstone and water pump driven bubbles so long as the bubble size is right and the strength of the pump is correct for your sized tank.

"Tiny Bubbles....." I always get that song stuck in my head whenever I chat about skimmers....LOL.

TCTFish said:
"Tiny Bubbles....." LOL.

Thanks alot...

I have a Coralife superskimmer, the 65gal version on my 75gal and its great... 0 bubbles in my tank... Ok now I have to go and listen to some Metallica to get this song out of my head... tiny bubbles...in the sea..,

darn you... :lol:

Macrosill.. I hope you have a nano to go with that skimmer (the Visi-Jet).. errr.. 20
gallons maybe.. Ive not heard good things about it..
but you can use them (HOB) in sump it works best when you put it behind baffles so the
water level is steady..

The Coarlife Superskimmer needlewheel's can be used HOB or in sump configurations (they are convertable)
and IMHO are the best bang for buck purchase online..

there are plenty of great skimmers out there they are just more $ for performance..
ASM has put out a mini from my recolection and would be a more $ for some great performance..

I'd go with a Cpr bak-pak, but skip the surface skimmer. I've not seen a version of the surface skimmer that works with a maxi-jet, and frankly that skimmer only works really well with a maxi-jet 1200 instead of the Rio 600 they used to sell em with.

Depending on where you get it, it may have the maxijet already...and that's how you want it. More reliable, more efficient, 100% easier to clean.

But, skimmers are noisy...mainly the HOBs...its a fact of life. You hit a pump impeller with air and water, its gonna make sound.

the bak-pak and the smaller remora's are not in-tank if you get the HOB. the pump does sit inside the tank though, unlike the Prism, which is why they look a little different.

I think I am going to go with the Coralife Supper Skimmer in the sump configuration. Now the question is do I get the 65 gal or 125 gal version. I have a 55 gal tank and am using a 30 gal for a sump. Now the sump obviously will not hold 30 gal. I am leaning toward the 65 gal version but I will be maxing it out. Are they designed to be maxed out or do the perform better if they are oversized?
TIA,
Brian

Back
Top Bottom