Want to set up a new tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kkane2002

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. My husband has told my children that they could get fish. We have a 10 gallon glass tank, but it has been used for a toad within the last year. It was purchased new for the toad. Something makes me think that I cannot use this tank for fish now? I'm not sure what to do - and I hate to waste a perfectly nice tank. Does anyone know for sure about this? :?

TIA,
Karin

I would think that as long as your rinse the tank out well it could still be used for fish, i dont know why it couldnt be. well wait and see what some of the more experienced aquarists say. HTH

It should be fine. As was described above clean the tank well. If you want to go one step further than just rinsing the tank you can use a 1:10 bleach/water mixture to sanatize the tank. Rinse the tank very well after doing this and contue rinsing till there is no longer a bleach odor. Then it would be best to air dry the tank for a period of at least 24 hours. At this point the tank should be as good if not cleaner than new.

as i was reading these posts i was hoping that sopmeone would mention reptile aquarium glass.. it will not hold the weight of the water i knopw this my bad trial and error
they are not made thick enough
some toads also havea toxin in their urine so if it is a non reptile aquaruim make sure that you use the bleach mixture recomended
Also what i ahve doen is just rinse that out over again and over again after that:)
:oops:

Back
Top Bottom