Want to set up low-light 10 gallon with electronic ballast.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strawtarget

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a 10 gallon aquarium for some black neon tetras and panda cory catfish. I'm using fake plants and do not require/desire an ultra-bright lighting system. I don't want to use incandescent because of the heat, and I don't want to use a normal cheapo 10 gallon light strip because the tank sits in my peripheral vision all day long and an electromagnetic ballast will flicker me into a daily headache.

I see 2 possible paths ahead of me.

1. Buy a mega-cheapo incandescent light strip and use 2 mini compact fluorescent bulbs in it. The problem with this is that all of the mini CFL's I've found are 10 watt and 10,000K: too bright (since 2 bulbs go in a light strip) and too blue (I want closer to 5,000K).

2. Rig up a complete-DIY solution.

Anyone familiar with this stuff have any advice for me? Thanks!!

Get a fixture/hood that takes 2 incandescents, replace those w/ 2 Coralife 6700K screw in PCs. Then, when you're sick of scraping algae off of plastic plants, you can grow real ones.

I have a 15 lighted with 2, 11 watt, 6400k CF bulbs I picked up at the dollar store. Works great; I wanted some algae on the rocks as the tank houses 3 Pseudeotropheus flavus.

I picked up an incandescent light strip and fitted it with the lowest-wattage ~5100K compact fluorescent lamps I could find locally: 4 watts. The "equivalent" wattage is labeled as 15. It's pretty bright, so I've covered about 70% of the glass below the light strip with white cardboard. That seems to do the trick. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd order some 2 watt CFL's from the internet instead.

BillD said:
I have a 15 lighted with 2, 11 watt, 6400k CF bulbs I picked up at the dollar store. Works great; I wanted some algae on the rocks as the tank houses 3 Pseudeotropheus flavus.

Dollarama, right? I've got 8 of those bulbs in each of my hoods on my two 30 gallons. The plants went nuts.

Back
Top Bottom