waste RO water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miesenjr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
waste RO water?
My R/O unit is discharging much more waste water than the 4:1 ratio i thought it should. Is this because it needs to be replaced? Mt TDS is still at 0.

If you haven't back flushed in awhile give that I try. Also, cold(er) water will throw off that ratio as well. One way to check on your membrane is to test some water coming out out of the RO and before the DI (if you have DI). It should be no higher than..err.. 7-ish

no doubt about the temp. I do have DI and I have not backflushed it, I will give it a try when I get home. my tds is around 0 to 1

I make mine out in my tool shed and yes in the winter it takes three times as long to make water.

melosu58, it takes 3 times as long, but is the waste water coming out 3 times as fast?

I have my waste water piped out to the yard where it waters the ground and grass. I dont know if it`s three times as fast on the waste water because it goes through the membrane much slower.

I use a "Zero" water waste system, it push the unused water back to the hot water pipe. One major disadvantage I find is, its coll down my hot water, so I only use it to make 20G water when the dishwasher is on or when we take a bath/shower.
Also I have installed a 50 feet coiled copper pipe b4 the RO unit fresh water inlet, so the warm/hot water dont demage the membrane. Usually makes 20G water in 4-6 hr.
zerowaste_retro_kit.jpg

I just run my waste water into my washing machine and when I have enough water I just wash some cloths.

WOW, My wife would like you very much :p
Since I got this unit she refuse to cook with tap water , she even want to do dishes with RO water. :p:p:p:lol:

I didnt even know they had that. I will have to get one. I hate wasting water. Here, we barely get to water our yards much less make water. It can cost as much as $8 a gallon!!!! Thats from the city. The more you use the more it costs. I have an ro unit but cant run it. I buy water from a store that gets a busness discount. I have had a thousand dollar water bill (just water not including electricity). Can't take too many of those.

thats crazy i time to get some large water storage and have it trucked in lol.... i use my waste water for snail tanks. there are many factors that go into that 4 to 1 also. temp is one like they said and so is the psi on the line.

Back
Top Bottom