Water Change Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keybler

Aquarium Advice Regular
So If this has already been posted, sorry.

If your Lazy, have a bad back or just that work smarter not harder person this is for you.

30.00 - Brute 32 gallon trash can.
20.00 - Powerhead (Pump)
25.00 - PVC and Glue
25.00 - 3/8id Plastic Tubing (Enough to reach from your sink to tank)
5.00 - Faucet to hose adapter
5.00 - Hose to 3/8 Plastic Tubing adapter
Priceless - labor saved when doing a water change.

I've been doing this for years, I figured I'd throw the idea out there after talking to and older gentlemen at petsmart that was having trouble with water changes.

The idea is simple, using the sink faucet to fill up a trash can. Using PVC and tubing to drain your tank into a bathtub. The pump to pump water from the trash can into the tank.

I found the hardest part was gluing 2 sets of PVC pipe to drain 30 gallons +/- 1 gallon and another to drain 15 gallons +/- 1 gallon. Once you are able to build the correct depth PVC pipe and know how many gallons you have in your trash can, Water changes are a breeze.

I fill the trashcan up the night before I plan to change water, I use a small heater to keep the water somewhat higher than the tank, A few hours before I change the water, I unplug the heater and watch the temperature drop. Once I'm with .5 degree of the tank I do the swap.

When complete, clean out the trash can, let everything dry and store all the PVC, tubing and pumps inside the trashcan.

Enjoy, Let me know if you are also using a similar system and what your doing different, I would love to save another step!

Attachments

• IMG_20160702_151951718_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20160702_151951718_HDR[1].jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 116
I think you can get a little set of wheels for those brute containers if that helps any.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom