Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Am I the only that's paranoid about putting my arms in water when electrical equipment is running?
The canister maintenance referenced is actually two separate sections. The canister itself in usually under the stand. The hoses for the outflow are insulated and does not pose a threat to electric shock.

Old 04-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My canister is hooked up to the same plug thing that my thermometer and lights are hooked up to. Everything goes off when I do maintenance. I'm not taking any chances.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:27 PM   #13

To put your mind at ease cat, when I put in my UV I made a huge mess and spilled about a gallon of water all over my surge protector with everything plugged into it. Absolutely nothing happened.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks Tony. I will sleep well tonight!!!! HeHe

(I'm still paranoid)
Old 05-01-2005, 03:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwumman
Thanks Tony. I will sleep well tonight!!!! HeHe

(I'm still paranoid)
Seriously, there was water everywhere and not a spark to be seen. Everything still works and the surge protection didn't even kick in. I'm talking I had to basically pour water out of the outlet holes.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I made a huge mess and spilled about a gallon of water all over my surge protector with everything plugged into it. Absolutely nothing happened.
Surge protection and ground fault interruption are two different things. A surge protector is to stop large voltage and amperage spikes going downstream into sensative appliances (tv's, computers). A GFI is to shut the circuit off if the current returning is not the same as the current going in, for example: if the current was going through you instead.

You can immerse an electric appliance in water and it will not trip a GFI as long as the water does not short it out and let the current leave the circuit. Such is the case with your properly functioning submersible products. In theory, if the submersible product has a short that will let current leave the circuit (via you) the GFI will shut off in milliseconds to prevent your death, but it would still likely hurt. The only way a surge protector would supply any protection is if the short circuit allows enough current to be drawn that exceeds the surge protectors fuse. This will typically be 15 or 20 amps, and you don't want that much going through you.

That being said, I routinely stick my limbs in the tanks in both GFI and non GFI circuits without fear.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:53 PM   #17

Oh, I wasn't implying that the surge protector was the reason I was fine, just that aquarium water spills, even on electrical outlets, are not as bad as you might imagine. For me, it was not bad at all.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
For me, it was not bad at all.
Thank goodness. I have actually had wiring related shocks on 110V 20 amp circuits. That's how I discoverd the fact that two circuits can share the same nuetral? wire, and the unbalanced? load can be, well, unbalancing Ouch. The old construction had been wired goofy, so even turning off the breaker for the light I was working on didn't protect me, since the nuetral wire was common with another circuit that was still on. I had to turn off all the breakers to be sure since I didn't have a meter. Now I test the wires with a meter rather than my fingers! This topic came up once before, and very few people had experienced even minor aquarium related shocks, let alone bigger ones. I"ve never even had a tingle with the aquarium.

Glad you didn't get bitten.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:50 PM   #19

[quote="TomK2"]
Quote:

Glad you didn't get bitten.
Me too Tom, me too.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:06 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I turn mine off because I also clean the filter out when I change the water.

Tags
canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com