Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2005, 10:04 PM   #1

Water Changes and Canister Filters

Do you have to turn off your canister filter when you are making a partial water change? I don't right now, but from several posts it sounds like others are. Why?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I am really lazy....... I turn off the filter.... then put the outflow into a bucket and turn it back on..... hehehe.

If I am doing a regular change I leave it on.

Old 04-30-2005, 01:25 AM   #3

Any reason someone would turn it off?
Old 04-30-2005, 03:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Doing large PWC's and the water level drops below the intake pipe. Ie with Large water changes on Discus.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:25 AM   #5

****, it would take about a 90% water change for that to happen in my tank. Thanks for the info. mattrox
Old 04-30-2005, 04:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sometimes that is what is called for in a Discus tank, rarely but it happens. However the water would have been off-gassed and heated to the correct temp first. ALso if the "waterfall is going to make too much racket for the fish it might be good to turn it off.

There is always the electricity + water spill = death equation to consider.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, the water does splash and make quite a bit of noise when the water level drops. I was turning them off only because they were on the same power strip as a holding tank heater that I wanted disabled during a water change (didn't want the water level to drop below the working heater when pumping out of the holding tank). I have since set the heater on the bottom of the holding tank so this is not a concern, and now I don't bother to turn the fluvals off. If I were going to do some other maintenance on the decorations or during a gravel vac, I would turn the fluvals off to reduce turbulence and splashing in the tank.

A reminder: if your fluval has a removable ceramic shaft for the impeller, make sure it is re-installed properly or the fluval will have difficulty self starting after turning it off. On the 404 the ceramic shaft is removable. When you clean the impeller housing, put the ceramic shaft back in, then drop the impeller over the shaft. if you put the impeller in first, then stick the ceramic shaft through the impeller, the ceramic shaft will not properly seat. When the filter is then turned off, you will often have to rattle it around to get the impeller moving again.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to sdveirs Send a message via MSN to sdveirs Send a message via Yahoo to sdveirs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrox
If I am really lazy....... I turn off the filter.... then put the outflow into a bucket and turn it back on..... hehehe.

WOW thats a great idea, I don't see any reason why that can't be done normally. Just pull the output out of the tank and stick it in the bucket.

?

http://www.veirs.org/photos/tanks.jpg

10 Gallon w/ 1 male betta and alge eater (not sure what kind), looking for something to add with the betta.

Scott's Blog
http://www.veirs.org
sdveirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:42 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdveirs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrox

WOW thats a great idea, I don't see any reason why that can't be done normally. Just pull the output out of the tank and stick it in the bucket.

?
Why not go a step further, hook it up to a long hose & directely to a drain!

Better yet, put a Tee/valve in the output & permanently plumb it, now all you have to do is flip a valve to change from draining to circulating .....
Old 04-30-2005, 01:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Am I the only that's paranoid about putting my arms in water when electrical equipment is running?

Tags
canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com