Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I always leave my filter off for a few minutes after water change to give the prime time to do its thing

Old 09-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thought I'd throw this into the mix: you could get a larger container to use to pre-treat / age your water. Then use a small pump to get it from the container to the aquarium. Some people use 55 gallon Rubbermaid trash bins or 55 gallon plastic barrels. You just need to be certain that there's no chance of chemical or biological contamination... So buying a used on is risky.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
Thought I'd throw this into the mix: you could get a larger container to use to pre-treat / age your water. Then use a small pump to get it from the container to the aquarium. Some people use 55 gallon Rubbermaid trash bins or 55 gallon plastic barrels. You just need to be certain that there's no chance of chemical or biological contamination... So buying a used on is risky.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
^This^++
I have 4@32 g and 1@44 g Rubbermaid garbage cans(on wheels).
Prepping water besides being more efficient also allows it to out gas and adjust to match the water in the tank.
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:57 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a dozen aquariums all 60+ gallons up to 125 gallons and have been using prime for many years. I use pythons to change the water and just dose for the entire tank volume and let the water flow right in and have never lost a fish through a water change. Personally I would be more worried about the incoming water characteristics (Temperature, PH, Nitrates) then worrying about Prime doing its thing.

I leave my canister filters running during water changes and I usually do 50% or more whenever I change the water. I just do not run the new water in right next to the filter intakes. On tanks that require more than one capful of Prime I pour the prime in on each end to spread it around faster.

Seachem says that Prime works instantly upon contact. I will take their word for it.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:16 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I worried about this as well when i first got my 75 gallon. I followed the advice of filling straight from the tap and treating with enough aquaplus declorinator to treat the whole tank. I go through the treatment bottles fast, but id rather overdose and be safe then run the risk of it not being as effective. I also let the water run through a med size jar that i put a digital temp reader probe in so i can set the temp to exactly what the tank is. I didnt get a python and instead simply made an attachment to connect to my tap with a valve that then can connect to my vinyl hose. I set the temp then close the valve and then set it up in the tank to fill at the same temp. Im a plumber by trade so i just couldnt bring myself to just buy one lol Ive never noticed any issues from my fish doing it this way
Old 10-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks everyone for all the replies!

Tags
ate, changing, question, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com