Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Water changing question

I've been doing water changes in my 29 gallon using a bucket full of water left out over night and treated with Prime. Now, with the addition of a 90 gallon, I'm looking into getting some sort of water changer type device (ie. Python/Aqueon).
What my question (and I can't seem to find a clear cut answer to) is: if I'm refilling my tanks using chlorinated tap water through this device, is it enough to treat with a dose of Prime straight into the tank as it is refilling?
My fear is the harm the chlorine would do to the fish and the biological filter.

Thanks on advance for any help/advice!

Old 09-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You put the Prime straight into the tank before you add the tap water. I dose to tank size not the amount if water I'm adding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
You put the Prime straight into the tank before you add the tap water. I dose to tank size not the amount if water I'm adding.

I've yet to see if your're truly supposed to dose to tank size or the amount of water you're changing. In my case I use buckets still (I know...) but I treat the 5 gallons of water I'm adding with 5 gallons worth of dechlorinator, rather than dosing the 5 gallons with enough for the tank or just dosing the tank before hand. In say my 55 depending on which route you take that's a huge difference in the amount of dechlorinator used in changing the same amount of water.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use python only for all my wc's and have never treated for tank's total volume. I dose only for the amount being changed.

Jesse
Old 09-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you all for the replies!

Is the issue with the amount of Prime used based on cost effectiveness or a potential overdose for the fish?
Old 09-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Prime is safe up to 5x normal dose, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batusi View Post
I've been doing water changes in my 29 gallon using a bucket full of water left out over night and treated with Prime. Now, with the addition of a 90 gallon, I'm looking into getting some sort of water changer type device (ie. Python/Aqueon).
What my question (and I can't seem to find a clear cut answer to) is: if I'm refilling my tanks using chlorinated tap water through this device, is it enough to treat with a dose of Prime straight into the tank as it is refilling?
My fear is the harm the chlorine would do to the fish and the biological filter.

Thanks on advance for any help/advice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRC Exotics View Post
I've yet to see if your're truly supposed to dose to tank size or the amount of water you're changing. In my case I use buckets still (I know...) but I treat the 5 gallons of water I'm adding with 5 gallons worth of dechlorinator, rather than dosing the 5 gallons with enough for the tank or just dosing the tank before hand. In say my 55 depending on which route you take that's a huge difference in the amount of dechlorinator used in changing the same amount of water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleyjk View Post
I use python only for all my wc's and have never treated for tank's total volume. I dose only for the amount being changed.

Jesse

brennae got this one right!!

Right on bottle ,so I will quote;
'If adding directly to aquarium,
base dose on aquarium volume'.
If you want to save on prime use buckets.
If you want to use a python you dose for full tank volume.
I f you want a python and to save money get seachem SAFE.
It is 1/20 the price of prime!
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't like dosing the tank and adding chlorinated water. Until the prime disperses and binds there is chlorine present. I personally like to mix the dechlorinator in the water well before hand. This is just my practice, I know plenty of people do it by dosing the tank then adding water but it makes me a little nervous. Especially on large 50% or more changes.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRC Exotics View Post
I don't like dosing the tank and adding chlorinated water. Until the prime disperses and binds there is chlorine present. I personally like to mix the dechlorinator in the water well before hand. This is just my practice, I know plenty of people do it by dosing the tank then adding water but it makes me a little nervous. Especially on large 50% or more changes.

I do think this is a good point. While lots of people dose tank and then add water, there have been some instances of fish lost. This is pretty rare but was where fish were 'playing' in path of new water inflow. Something to watch for perhaps.

It might(?) also be worthwhile testing ammonia say 2 hours, 12 and then 24hrs after the first time. Just to see if any problems with bacterial population. I've never noticed anything filling tank this way for both fish and bacteria but only other thought.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The top rim on my 55g sits at about 5'3" off the ground. I can't lift the buckets up that high without a ladder and even then with having back issues I can't do that more than a couple times. All my top shelf tanks are high up. It's just not feasible for me not to use the hose. When I change my small display tanks I do use a container and only dose the to the amount in the container and not tank volume.

Everyone has their own way of doing things and I'm sure Seachem did tests to come up with their instructions they way they are written. Basically you need to do what's comfortable for you OP.

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, changing, question, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com