Water changing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batusi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been doing water changes in my 29 gallon using a bucket full of water left out over night and treated with Prime. Now, with the addition of a 90 gallon, I'm looking into getting some sort of water changer type device (ie. Python/Aqueon).
What my question (and I can't seem to find a clear cut answer to) is: if I'm refilling my tanks using chlorinated tap water through this device, is it enough to treat with a dose of Prime straight into the tank as it is refilling?
My fear is the harm the chlorine would do to the fish and the biological filter.

Thanks on advance for any help/advice!

You put the Prime straight into the tank before you add the tap water. I dose to tank size not the amount if water I'm adding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You put the Prime straight into the tank before you add the tap water. I dose to tank size not the amount if water I'm adding.

I've yet to see if your're truly supposed to dose to tank size or the amount of water you're changing. In my case I use buckets still (I know...) but I treat the 5 gallons of water I'm adding with 5 gallons worth of dechlorinator, rather than dosing the 5 gallons with enough for the tank or just dosing the tank before hand. In say my 55 depending on which route you take that's a huge difference in the amount of dechlorinator used in changing the same amount of water.

I use python only for all my wc's and have never treated for tank's total volume. I dose only for the amount being changed.

Jesse

Thank you all for the replies!

Is the issue with the amount of Prime used based on cost effectiveness or a potential overdose for the fish?

I've been doing water changes in my 29 gallon using a bucket full of water left out over night and treated with Prime. Now, with the addition of a 90 gallon, I'm looking into getting some sort of water changer type device (ie. Python/Aqueon).
What my question (and I can't seem to find a clear cut answer to) is: if I'm refilling my tanks using chlorinated tap water through this device, is it enough to treat with a dose of Prime straight into the tank as it is refilling?
My fear is the harm the chlorine would do to the fish and the biological filter.

Thanks on advance for any help/advice!

I've yet to see if your're truly supposed to dose to tank size or the amount of water you're changing. In my case I use buckets still (I know...) but I treat the 5 gallons of water I'm adding with 5 gallons worth of dechlorinator, rather than dosing the 5 gallons with enough for the tank or just dosing the tank before hand. In say my 55 depending on which route you take that's a huge difference in the amount of dechlorinator used in changing the same amount of water.

I use python only for all my wc's and have never treated for tank's total volume. I dose only for the amount being changed.

Jesse

brennae got this one right!!

Right on bottle ,so I will quote;
'If adding directly to aquarium,
base dose on aquarium volume'.
If you want to save on prime use buckets.
If you want to use a python you dose for full tank volume.
I f you want a python and to save money get seachem SAFE.
It is 1/20 the price of prime!

I don't like dosing the tank and adding chlorinated water. Until the prime disperses and binds there is chlorine present. I personally like to mix the dechlorinator in the water well before hand. This is just my practice, I know plenty of people do it by dosing the tank then adding water but it makes me a little nervous. Especially on large 50% or more changes.

I don't like dosing the tank and adding chlorinated water. Until the prime disperses and binds there is chlorine present. I personally like to mix the dechlorinator in the water well before hand. This is just my practice, I know plenty of people do it by dosing the tank then adding water but it makes me a little nervous. Especially on large 50% or more changes.

I do think this is a good point. While lots of people dose tank and then add water, there have been some instances of fish lost. This is pretty rare but was where fish were 'playing' in path of new water inflow. Something to watch for perhaps.

It might(?) also be worthwhile testing ammonia say 2 hours, 12 and then 24hrs after the first time. Just to see if any problems with bacterial population. I've never noticed anything filling tank this way for both fish and bacteria but only other thought.

The top rim on my 55g sits at about 5'3" off the ground. I can't lift the buckets up that high without a ladder and even then with having back issues I can't do that more than a couple times. All my top shelf tanks are high up. It's just not feasible for me not to use the hose. When I change my small display tanks I do use a container and only dose the to the amount in the container and not tank volume.

Everyone has their own way of doing things and I'm sure Seachem did tests to come up with their instructions they way they are written. Basically you need to do what's comfortable for you OP.

Thought I'd throw this into the mix: you could get a larger container to use to pre-treat / age your water. Then use a small pump to get it from the container to the aquarium. Some people use 55 gallon Rubbermaid trash bins or 55 gallon plastic barrels. You just need to be certain that there's no chance of chemical or biological contamination... So buying a used on is risky.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thought I'd throw this into the mix: you could get a larger container to use to pre-treat / age your water. Then use a small pump to get it from the container to the aquarium. Some people use 55 gallon Rubbermaid trash bins or 55 gallon plastic barrels. You just need to be certain that there's no chance of chemical or biological contamination... So buying a used on is risky.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

^This^++
I have 4@32 g and 1@44 g Rubbermaid garbage cans(on wheels).
Prepping water besides being more efficient also allows it to out gas and adjust to match the water in the tank.

I have a dozen aquariums all 60+ gallons up to 125 gallons and have been using prime for many years. I use pythons to change the water and just dose for the entire tank volume and let the water flow right in and have never lost a fish through a water change. Personally I would be more worried about the incoming water characteristics (Temperature, PH, Nitrates) then worrying about Prime doing its thing.

I leave my canister filters running during water changes and I usually do 50% or more whenever I change the water. I just do not run the new water in right next to the filter intakes. On tanks that require more than one capful of Prime I pour the prime in on each end to spread it around faster.

Seachem says that Prime works instantly upon contact. I will take their word for it.

I worried about this as well when i first got my 75 gallon. I followed the advice of filling straight from the tap and treating with enough aquaplus declorinator to treat the whole tank. I go through the treatment bottles fast, but id rather overdose and be safe then run the risk of it not being as effective. I also let the water run through a med size jar that i put a digital temp reader probe in so i can set the temp to exactly what the tank is. I didnt get a python and instead simply made an attachment to connect to my tap with a valve that then can connect to my vinyl hose. I set the temp then close the valve and then set it up in the tank to fill at the same temp. Im a plumber by trade so i just couldnt bring myself to just buy one lol Ive never noticed any issues from my fish doing it this way

Back
Top Bottom