water filter Choice Flow 9500 for tank water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

browns9174

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a moen choiceflo 9500 water filtration system for drinking water, does anyone know if this was water will be good for my tanks because I cannot afford a ro/di system at the moment.

Any water is good enough however the problems and risks you are taking by not using ro/di have to be taken into account for you to decide if its worth the risk.

Drinking water is not acceptable for reef tanks. To many peoples surprise drinking water contains many contaminants and impurities. Ro/DI contains 0 impurities. Meaning no change for contamination.

Your drinking water could contain heavy metals, chlorine, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and many other major, minor and trace element that can not only feed algae growth but can stunt coral growth or even kill.

Bottom line is i myself dont take chances with my tank, too much money invested to risk on bad water which is the foundation of any tank.

If you cant afford an ro/di then buy it from someone. If you cant afford ro/di now then you never going to be able to afford losses because of bad water. Biggest thing you can do to be successful with a reef tank is to avoid problems at all costs, because no problem has a quick easy fix in a reef tank.

I appreciate the good advice n I'm gonna take it. Knowing all this I'm not gonna fill my tank until I do get an ro/di. It is way to much of an investment to risk. Thanks

That system only reduces the contaminates it doesn't eliminate them but you would be better off using that water then regular tap water

Does anyplace sell ro/ di water so I can fill my tank just until I get a system which will hopefully be very soon?

how big is the tank. I don't know what they get for ro water but if your filling a large tank it'll proable cost you almost as much as an ro unit

Holy crap! Just realized our house me n my wife bought not long ago already has a ro/di system installed!!!!! I'm soooo happy n feel kinda stupid for not knowing lol

Sweet!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120514_233222.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120514_233222.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 65
That only looks like an RO unit meaning no Di stage. You can buy a Di stage for pretty cheap separate and connect with a connect fitting and some tubing to the Ro membrane.

Reverse osmosis alone does not remove all contaminants. Usually 95-98 percent but that assuming everything is running as efficient as possible which in most cases its not. So if your tap water tests about 300 tds like mine then your still looking at about 10-15tds left to remove which the deionization takes care of.

0 TDS is the end product you want. Pick up a tds meter. You can get one on bulkreefsupply.com for about 20 bucks and really comes in handy for making sure ro/di system is working properly.

Yea after checking everything out I realized that to but I'm still happy cuz I still saved $. Ordering the di in the morning. Good looking out though, thanks!!

Yep no problem. Your lucky day though with a free ro unit lol well almost free, you only had to buy a house to get it lol.

Back
Top Bottom