water flow for 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Currently the only flow I have is from a 190 gph power head and water from the sump return lines (which isn't really much flow). So overall I have very little flow.

I've read that I want to be 35 x the size of the tank. So that would be 1925 gph flow.

What do you guys recommend? What are those fans that are magnetic and stick on the side of the tank? I would like to get two, so what gph would be good?

And placement.. is each side ok? I'd like to stick one on the back though because the left side of my tank is a high traffic area and it's likely to get knocked off. Also should they be on timers?

I have two 750's and a 200 or so in my 46. As long as your substrate or corals aren't blowing around everywhere you'll be fine. My fish seem to love the currents. Alot.

Ok thanks. I have maxi jet 400s. Do they get less noisy over time? :/ not digging the noise

Not too sure about those. I have the koralis and those are super quiet.

I have an MJ1200 that is quite noisy and its submerged. lol I think it may be what it is.....

I just got through reading lots of reviews.. a lot of them mentioned how the pump was quiet and a couple mentioned noise like I have. And, since it says quiet on the box I emailed marineland asking for a solution to the problem.

So, we'll see..

Turned it on today to try to diagnose and it was super quiet. Don't know why, but i'll take it!

OK, so I went to get some Koralias. They didn't have two 500's like I wanted so I got a koralia 750 and a koralia 240.

My fish are currently swimming against the currents and letting them blow them around.

So.... sure this isn't too much flow? :D

I had 2 750's reunning in my 55g, one 750 in my 29g and 2 1400's in the 125g plus the return of approx 1000gph.

I think youre flow should be fine, just adjust so everything is getting flow. :)

I think you're right. :) I may just get a second 750 (and even keep the 240 in there with it) because I was reading articles that talk about major flow and all kinds of flow and how good it is for the aquarium. Then I could get a wave maker or some oscillating attachments for my return pipes or something else.

Back
Top Bottom