Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
Water flow... stumped.

I don't know where to begin. Maybe there is an easy solve for this, maybe not. I have a frag tank under my main that is plumbed to the main with pvc. gravity pulls the water down from a homemade utube (2 90 degree elbows) made of pvc and the return is put back into the tank using a pump and the same pvc utube design. (Hope your all still following) On both sets of pipes I have ball valves to control the water flow and get a constant where the water being pulled down is equal to the water being pushed back up. The question is when i start it no matter how hard i try to equalize both I can never get an equal of give and take (I have sat a couple of hours fooling with both ball valves to get the water to not move) Is there an easy way to get this to equal out or am I doomed to spend the remainder of my days fooling with these **** valves?

JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

first of all you should never use a valve for the water leaving your main your drains should be able to drain the water that gets pumped in the main...the more water that gets pumped...the more water drains(to a certain point). if too much water is getting pumped into the tank, eithere your drain isnt large enough or your pump is too big, just control the valve on the pump return

Old 07-23-2005, 12:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

So what you are saying is that I should open the ball valve on the drain line all the way? wouldn't this cause the frag tank to overflow due to the pump not being able to carry the water back in fast enough? The pipes are 3/4 inches wide tia
Old 07-23-2005, 12:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

As long as the drain can handle the pump you are fine. If it can't, get a smaller pump or use a valve to slow the pump water down. The drain will flow as fast as the water it gets, to its limit. Your pump always needs to be rated at a lower gph than the drain/overflow.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am not quite following you. If i leave the drain all the way open, won't the frag tank overflow?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

the only thing that can be a problem is if your pump pumps too much into the main, and you can fix it by slowing it down. open the drain all the way, if the water level in the main keeps rising, close the pump valve a little until the water levels off.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

and what kind of frag tank do you have underneath? I mean the tank and lighting.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

the frag tank will not overflow because the only water going into it is the same volume of water that is being pumped out
Old 07-23-2005, 12:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, but lets say my pump is weaker? do I leave the return all the way open and than cut the drain down with the valve? I mean i've had both a half way and fooled with both and cannot for the life of me get this to level off. do I A. leave the drain all the way open and fool with the return line valve? or B. keep the return valve all the way open and fool with the drain line? sorry if im repeating myself over and over but like i said i cant for the life of me get the water to level off.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

The frag tank is a small 10G with a little over 5 watts per gallon of PC lighting which im using to keep some softies.

Tags
flow, water flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com