Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Water leaving canister- Where to place this tube in the tank

I got a Hydor Prime 10 canister filter. I have a question on setting it up. I understand head height and I think I'm ok there. The tube coming back up into the tank has a little sticker where the maximum water level should be. This line would only be an inch, or less, below the water surface. That seems pretty high to me.

For those of you who have canisters: Where is your outflow positioned? By outflow, I mean the water coming out of the canister and back up to the tank. Where is this tube in your tank? My directions seem to say that this little tube must be only an inch or less below the top of the water surface. It looks like a U shape, with a tiny little directional spout, so almost all of the U will be sticking up over the tank (and adding to the head height). I have never seen anything like that in anyone's pictures.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
I have a Rena Filstar and the u takes my spraybar a good 4 inches below the water level.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks...this does seem odd. I just checked again. It definitely says Maximum water line, and not minimum. I don't have fish in this tank right now, so we'll just have to give the canister a good run-through!

Old 06-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the old version of that filter...the Renaissance 20. it has the same oddball marking. I ran it deeper than that and didn't have any problems. Mine had a 'filter cleaning' indicator...just a plastic tube around the intake. I yanked that off to reduce tank clutter.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

That's good to know, Malkore. Thanks! Those directions did seem odd!

This does look like a nice filter. It is rated for a 20 gallon tank, and my tank is 10 gallons. From the looks of it online, it looked ok for a 10 gallon tank, and I think it will be. I do think it would be way too small for a 20 gallon tank.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine was also rated for 20gal, but seemed too small, and the flow was too light IMO.
i only got it cuz it was on clearance at the LFS. the box looked like it came from 1970.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

LOL! Are you still using it? What size tank?

Tags
canister, tan, tube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com