Water Left in Python Tubing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckeye3d

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting back into the hobby after about 20 years away. I'm loving it so far. I purchased a 75ft Python No Spill water changer setup. This is probably a dumb question but is there a good way to get all of the water out of the PVC tubing when you are done? I imagine this is fairly easy to do with a shorter length but my attempts so far with 75ft of tubing have not worked well. Any help or ideas are appreciated!

Welcome to AA :) glad you found us here. What I do is just start rolling it up while it is still hooked up. Just remember to keep the roll higher then the sink so the water keeps pouring out.

Have you tried letting the sink run to crate the suction and walk it to the sink, as your walking it start rolling up. That should push all the water out of the hose with your assistance and the suction going.

This is what I do and seems to work well...

Welcome to AA :) glad you found us here. What I do is just start rolling it up while it is still hooked up. Just remember to keep the roll higher then the sink so the water keeps pouring out.

^^^^^ haha great minds. As soon as I posted your post came right up at the same time lol.

Oh and to the OP. Welcome!!

Have you tried letting the sink run to crate the suction and walk it to the sink, as your walking it start rolling up. That should push all the water out of the hose with your assistance and the suction going.

This is what I do and seems to work well...

I left it attached at the sink and walked it back but I still a decent amount of water left in the tubing. I did not walk it back with the water on. I'll try that next time! Thanks for the help and welcome!

You gotta do it kinda slowly to give the water enough time to drain out. Another thing is once you do have it rolled up you can also spin the whole role to get the water out. Kinda hard to explain what I mean lol.

You gotta do it kinda slowly to give the water enough time to drain out. Another thing is once you do have it rolled up you can also spin the whole role to get the water out. Kinda hard to explain what I mean lol.

Spin the whole role? Sounds...interesting. I have no idea what you mean though. :lol:

If you spin it it'll work like an Archimedes screw.

Come on Dino help me out here I know you know what I'm talking about lmao.

Roll it twice

Roll it to the sink as normal then dump it on the floor next to the sink and roll again fairly easy

The key is have found is leave the sink running with the sink attachment in the siphon position, and most important make sure the valve is open at the gravel vac end then just roll it up and walk it back to the sink,.

Ha ha .. how funny ... I just purchased an Aqueon water changer yesterday. After nearly three years of PWC's via buckets ... relax .. I actually enjoyed it, let me think about things, it was just taking too much time to change 15gallons ... let alone 25 - 30gallons.

Funny because I had the same issue with left over water ... there is a you tube video that shows the hose rolled up by the demonstrator at the end of the PWC.

Just wanted to follow up and say that walking it back with the valve open and the water on at the sink did the trick nicely. The Python makes water changes so easy it really is amazing. I would have gotten back into the hobby sooner if I had realized what a difference these things make! Thanks again for all the help.

Just wanted to follow up and say that walking it back with the valve open and the water on at the sink did the trick nicely. The Python makes water changes so easy it really is amazing. I would have gotten back into the hobby sooner if I had realized what a difference these things make! Thanks again for all the help.

Haha there ya go!! Glad it worked out.

I leave water in mine. I don't hook to the faucet until I fill the tank back up, so leaving water in the tube creates instant suction next time I need to do a water change. I just store it in a box under my tank between changes.

kimmcannally said:
I leave water in mine. I don't hook to the faucet until I fill the tank back up, so leaving water in the tube creates instant suction next time I need to do a water change. I just store it in a box under my tank between changes.

Are you talking about a python or just a normal gravel vac? Either way, leaving stagnant water in the line is not a good idea. The water pressure from your sink creates the siphon, no need to save it.

An Aqueon Water changer -like a python. And I don't hook it to the sink to create a siphon. I drain out the door and only hook it to the sink when I refill the tank. The stagnant water doesn't go anywhere but out the door, and as it drains it pulls tank water out with it, creating my siphon.

Back
Top Bottom