Water mixing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ducati2242

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im starting my new 50 gallon + sump next weekend . I thought about putting the sand in the bottom and then filling with RO then adding the salt and letting it all mix up in the tank for a few days before getting my new live rock from the lfs shop . Ordered . Everything will be new . Tanks , skimmer , pumps , uv light , RO unit etc . This will be the first time ive made my own water? . Ive not yet got any salt. Any recommendations . Is my plan ok or have I to think again.

Welcome to the site. It is okay to mix you salt the way you stated for your "First Mix", after that is is not okay and you should mix your Saltwater in a seperate container. That way you will be able to allow your saltwater mix to "Age" for at least 24hrs. This will allow your water to mix throughly and also get it up to the right temp. and you are able to adjust the water paramenters to match your tank.
It is more important to have consistance in your saltmix so any of the major brands would be good.

Thanks for your reply I should have said for my first mix . I intend on having 15 gallons on the go all the time so that I can do my weekly water changes with enough to spare . But it was the initial 65 gallons that I didnt have capacity for that I needed the advice on. One other thing . Im changing from a Bouyo ? 55 which I have running with 2 clowns . 1 small yellow tang . 1 gamma . 2 cleaners . 5 hermits . 1 bubble anemone . When Ive got all my waters and my cycle over with on my new set up can I swap everything over or is it slowly slowly. Like ive built my nano .

Attachments

• DSC00141.jpg
    DSC00141.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC00107 copy 2.jpg
    DSC00107 copy 2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 86
It is always better to do things slowly with a saltwater setup. You could add the corals and then do a couple of fish at a time. This will allow your bacteria to catch up with your new bio-load.
Just make sure your new tank is completely cycled.

Back
Top Bottom