Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

water movement

I recently bought a new filter for my tank, its rated for twice my tanks size and has an hourly output of nearly 5times my tanks capacity yet I still seem to have a lot of bioload settling on the floor of my tank. I have a spray bar fitted and I can see the water current in the top part of the tank but the bottom seems very still? I'm just wondering if there's any kind of dye I can safely add to the water to check the current/movement??

Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You're seeing waste. That's why along with filtering, you have to gravel vac every week. Most of that stuff is going to stay there.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I know I usually do but its only since I've had this new filter that its got worse. I can't vac at the min anyway coz I've got loads of fry in tank.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeofrude View Post
Yeah I know I usually do but its only since I've had this new filter that its got worse. I can't vac at the min anyway coz I've got loads of fry in tank.
Believe it or not I've vacuumed in the past with fry in my tank. I usually get someone to help keep an eye on things and guide me just in case I don't see a tank mate. Most fry will try and avoid your vacuum as a self-preservation technique.

Ultimately, experience is the best teacher.
OhNeil1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I'll just do it the best I can. But back to my original question, does anyone know of anything? I was thinking if some kind if food dye maybe?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have not used dye. I have no idea if it would be safe or not. What I have used is a little air into the filter so the impeller chops it up into smaller bubbles and I watch the movement of these tiny bubbles to see what kind of water movement I do or do not have.

With a spray bar I wouldn't expect much though. Normally you can get better circulation with a regular open outlet or a fan style outlet over a spray bar. Spray bars are for agitation of the surface and not much more.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I have not used dye. I have no idea if it would be safe or not. What I have used is a little air into the filter so the impeller chops it up into smaller bubbles and I watch the movement of these tiny bubbles to see what kind of water movement I do or do not have.
I'm very new but what I've found is that my canister filter generally has air that gets trapped inside. I give the canister a light tilt/bump and the air gets dislodged and shoots out the diffuser in tiny bubbles. I suppose the bubbles want to rise but do get a good idea of the water flow.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #8

filter ideas?

I have my eye on a 120 gallon 48x24x24 tank and since I have been out of the hobby for 5 years I would like to hear what everyone has to say about what filter or filters I should have for this tank? The last tank I had I bought a eheim 2260 but I haven't got the cash to spend that much again. Something a little more reasonable if possible. It will house some small dwarf cichlids and approx 7 discus mainly, plus I really like live plants. I get off on the plants almost as much as I do the fish. So, what does everyone think?
The more I look around the more confused I've become.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ray
I have my eye on a 120 gallon 48x24x24 tank and since I have been out of the hobby for 5 years I would like to hear what everyone has to say about what filter or filters I should have for this tank? The last tank I had I bought a eheim 2260 but I haven't got the cash to spend that much again. Something a little more reasonable if possible. It will house some small dwarf cichlids and approx 7 discus mainly, plus I really like live plants. I get off on the plants almost as much as I do the fish. So, what does everyone think?
The more I look around the more confused I've become.
If your of the handy sort you could try a DIY trickle filter. If you do a google search it should yield tons of results for you. I have built 2 of them using viaaqua pumps and a DIY overflow using PVC piping and a toms water lifter pump. Most of these items I have bought online from drs foster and smith.

It takes a little planning but the results of these filters has been superior to my magnum 350 canister filters I was using and changing out the filter media is much easier now. I now use the magnums and water pumps during water changes making that task much quicker and easier than the buckets used to use.

Hopefully this helps more than it confuses but the DIY trickle filters I use filter over 800gph which is awesome for the light price tag of the parts.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #10

Thanks Gargoyle, I have thought about trickle filters a bit but thought they would be noisy. Can you hear the water running on yours? If they can be quiet than I would be interested in possibly making one. From what I read they are the biological king of filters.

Tags
movement

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com