Water on my house windows - from my tank stuff??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
In the last few months since the heating has come on in the house, we're noticing larger amounts of condensation in the inside windows in my home. The 155g tank is in the basement. At the other end of the basement, I keep a 36g tank and 2-3 44g trashcans with water in them.

The wife called the window people and they said it could be because of large amounts of water in the house. The main/front window is upstairs in a split level home and is sometimes covered in condensation. Starting to effect the wood frames and sill (bow front). Big worry!

Anybody else notice their homes doing anything similar with your tanks? There is a medium de-humidifier in the basement that gets emptied of about 4 gallons almost weekly.

Yep, the exact thing happened to me too, but all of a sudden it just stoped, i live in denver, colorado, and the winter here is pretty dry (when not snowing).So i never really noticed it being as big problem. Hope you can work this problem out.

Yeah i had the same problem here during the colder months.
It's just bad ventilation.
Your house is humid and hotter than the outside so you get condensation.
You need more ventilation.

This is the first winter with tanks in the house, and we now call them the humidifiers. The water levels now drop a little between water changes.

No moisture yet....our condo, however, is very well ventilated, due to there being huge gaps around all the 90-year-old windows, so no condensation. A nice 7-degree breeze, but no condensation.

"Yay."

Could add another de-humidifier upstairs, but you still have a lack of ventilation. Anything can be used to increase the ventilation, fans from room to room, etc. You have warm air coming in, but no way for the moist air to escape. I have 9 tanks in my house, and have no condensation at all. But then again, the house is like the one above mentioned, mine's nearly 100 years old.

Are the trashcans RO water? Do you have them covered to reduce evaporation?

The windows are about 5 years old. Supposedly, good stuff. I guess that's why everything is so tight.

The trashcans have RO water. One FW. The other SW. The third is RO waste water we use for the washing machine. Not tiightly covered either. Just a top sitting on them, not sealed.

Boss lady will not do a de-humidifier upstairs. I'm taking down my 36g, not keeping water (will only make it when I'm about to use it) in the trashcans, and see if that helps. If not, I may be out of SW tanks soon. Can't stand the water's damage to the wood and structure in the home.

piranha said:
If the trash cans are uncovered, this is where your problem exists. Evaporation in a warm home is the cause. Try covering the cans if possible or remove them.
Only problem is he uses this for SW, they need O2 exchange to keep a stable pH.
Austinsdad, can you "seal" the door to the basement, so the condensation doesn't get through? Possibly add a fan to blow out the air, in the basement?

How about the fan, blowing the air to the outside?

The amount of evaporation will be accelerated with the use of an exhaust type fan. This is caused by the constant passing of warm air through the moisture laden area. A Dehumidifier is the next best way to rid moisture next to removing the origin of moisture(getting rid of the cans or sealing them). If this is a basement with an unfinished ceiling I would monitor it closely.

Sealed the cans tight last nite. The condensation wasn't nearly as bad today. Can't seal the SW can 'cause of the heater and PH cords hangin' out of'm.

Do you have gas or electric heat? I have gas and run a humidifier to keep moisture in the house during the winter.

'lectric heat. And a decent sized de-humidifier in the basement. Even with the previous post actions, I still got moisture - but not as much.

This weekend, the 36g tank and two of my 3 trashcans (SW, FW, and waste/washing machine) of water are going down. Gonna make water ONLY the day or two before I need'm from now on. Won't do the long time (2-3 week) storage.

No more hopsital tank - could never catch one anyway. No new fish.

If I develop a fish problem, I'll let it take it's course, treat to the extent I can with the reef and see what happens.

I'm @ a point these days that I can see myself out of fishkeeping. Getting older. Got maintenance on the home, the family, me, the cars, the yard, etc, etc. Maintaining fish and tanks these days when the family hardly even notices them anymore --- well, it just ain't as much fun anymore.

And now the water problems and the wife raising that scary eyebrow....

Thanks! I'm finished venting now.

You could still setup the QT tank as needed. Treating in the main is nearly impossible for most illnesses but it's highly unlikely if not adding any new stock anyways.

I can't imagine your tank is enjoyed much in the basement. Just curious but why didn't you set it up where it can be seen more? Or is your basement converted into a family room?

Hope you keep up with it :) Glad your getting less moisture now.

Yep. Family room/basement. Fireplace. Reclining chairs. TV. Jst did a major remodel job myself a few years ago.

Hardwood floors upstairs.Woudn't even come close to have gotten approval from the boss on that one.

Back
Top Bottom