Water pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you looking for external or submersible? Drs. Foster and Smith have a pretty decent selection of pumps at pretty good prices.

no I just saw some I thought might save some one a few bucks the ones I saw some are marked for aquariums

I have seen people use those plastic sump pumps to transfer salt water. I guess for utility use (cleaning/PWC's) they would be ok. Maybe the smaller fountain pumps could work for an external skimmer supply?

I would not be afraid if I need one to use it on SW all that can happen is it will quit running, most bof those pumps are made for either, I did not see any thing that said FW only

Im pretty sure if a pump can pump water it can pump salt water. Unless its like some micro DC pump that has some crazy specific tolerances..

If you do buy one from them, you could always test it in a bucket of SW first to make sure it works. Just incase it blows up or something xD.

It really cant , a water pump is like a fan the motor that is sealed from water turns a shaft with a propeller that pulls water in and out

Im pretty sure if a pump can pump water it can pump salt water. Unless its like some micro DC pump that has some crazy specific tolerances..

yes it can pump sea water....but for how long. salt water pumps have things like ceremic shafts. a pump that was not made for a SW aquarium would probably have a metal shaft to save cost. Salt+metal you do the math.

I love harbor freight, and flea markets, for those tools that I need to use once or twice. I wont spend big bucks on the #25 torx that I need to change a ford brake caliper so i go to HF. I have that $3 water pump. I needed it for a car trip where I wanted to refill water bottles. It worked great, but after a week the ball on the top came off.

so, buyer beware on the cheap stuff if you are planning on using it long term. But if you had a need for a week before the real one came in...

anything from HF will break quickly. there is a difference between throwing money away on a markup and saving money by buying garbage.

cabezon,

how true I have bought alot of their tools, large and small drill press , pretty good, socket sets, I bent and broke them, you have to pick and choose knowing the quality is chinese.

Back
Top Bottom